Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Salonic
Resolver I
Resolver I

Create Measure on MDX SSAS Cube

On our environment we have a cube SSAS MDX on-prem.

We know that it is not possible to create measure on this cube ... directly ..., but we manage to do it when publishing an empty powerbi file and connecting a desktop to the dataset from powerbi.com of that file.

Meaning :

Power BI Desktop => Cube MDX SSAS Prem => Not possible to create measures

Power BI Desktop => Live MDX Dataset on powerbi.com => Cube SSAS Prem => Possible to create measures

With the version of March 2021, we saw that this functionality has been blocked.

What is weird is that if we open a file created with an older version, we see the measures that have been created and we even have the possibility to edit them... but we can not create new ones.

A solution would be to create lot of measures ( ~ 50 measures ) on an older version and edit those measures on newer version.

Does anyone facing the same issue ?

I do not understand why this functionality is blocked (measures on live query MDX SSAS), does someone has an explanation ?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,
How are you managing with this problem? I am experiencing the same problem since the March update (the only difference is I am using tabular rather than MDX). My Power BI desktop has now updated to the April version, but the problem still persists unfortunately. Very thankful if anyone has any pointers on how to resolve this.

Kind regards,
Isabella

Hello,

Same for me : I updated with the lastest version (April 2021) still facing same issues which has a major impact on most of my reports ...

I believe the only way to solve this issue is to vote for this :

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=0ee95af7-ec10-464a-8146-114f91e653c9

And wait for Microsoft to change a variable in the source code of powerbi desktop and make things work again.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Salonic ,

According to my test, after installing the latest version of powerbi desktop from the official website and connecting to the SSAS Cube data source, the report level measure can be created based on the data source in the desktop. Please try according to the above description.

If your problem is still not solved, please let me know in time and provide a screenshot of the specific test steps. I will answer you as soon as possible.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618203523769.png

download from here

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply !

Where did you get the April version ?
I just downloaded the last powerbi desktop version and it is March 2021 version :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

Hi @Salonic ,

The latest version downloaded from the official website is in March, and what you downloaded is correct. I use @microsoft.com to log in to the internal beta version downloaded from the MS Store, so the update shows April. Both are not the same.😁

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618384984743.png

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your quick reply !!

So for the moment I can not check if this solves my problem ... 😞

Do you know when April version will available for everyone ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.