Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

at0kun
Regular Visitor

Create Measure for Distinct Count of a column based on criteria from another column

I am trying to create a measure so I can get a unique count of events I am tracking across multiple email campaigns.

In my data I have a column for: Email ID and one for Event Type. I often get duplicate email IDs and event types (if someone opens an email multiple times), so I just need to know if that email and event type happened (don't care how many times it happened)

I would like to create a measure to return a distinct count of emails IDs when Event Type = X (Delivered/Opened/Clicked).

You cannot use a distinct count expression across multiple columns, and I am struggling to find other options.

All other things that I've found are creating a separate table, and I just need a measure, not a new table.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@at0kun

In your scenario, when Event Type = X you want to return a distinct count of email IDs. Right?

Then you can try following DAX expression for a measure:

Count Event Type X =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table4[Email ID] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( Table4 ), Table4[Event Type] = "X" )
)

Result shows like: 

111.PNG

If above doesn't satisfy your requirement, please kindly share us more information like your source table structure and some sample data with corresponding desired result. So that we can make proper tests.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@at0kun

In your scenario, when Event Type = X you want to return a distinct count of email IDs. Right?

Then you can try following DAX expression for a measure:

Count Event Type X =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table4[Email ID] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( Table4 ), Table4[Event Type] = "X" )
)

Result shows like: 

111.PNG

If above doesn't satisfy your requirement, please kindly share us more information like your source table structure and some sample data with corresponding desired result. So that we can make proper tests.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I needed to add and additional Column criteria what would that look like?

Thanks Xi Jin, that did the trick!  

at0kun
Regular Visitor

I am trying to create a measure so I can get a unique count of events I am tracking across multiple email campaigns.

In my data I have a column for: Email ID and one for Event Type.  I often get duplicate email IDs and event types (if someone opens an email multiple times), so I just need to know if that email and event type happened (don't care how many times it happened)

I would like to create a measure to return a distinct count of emails IDs when Event Type = X (Delivered/Opened/Clicked).

You cannot use a distinct count expression across multiple columns, and I am struggling to find other options.

All other things that I've found are creating a separate table, and I just need a measure, not a new table.

Please help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.