Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hwoehler
Helper I
Helper I

Create Lower Triangular Matrix

Hello everybody,

I would like to implement the following:

I have a DateTable in Power BI, a table "FSE" with data, and then a filtered Table table. This contains the dates of the last date of the year (relative to "FSE") and the corresponding value. I would like to visualize a lower triangular matrix that looks like this: (The color formatting is unimportant. The calculations/values ​​are important)

desired resultdesired result

In Excel I did this manually, the files are attached (pbix and excel file): https://we.tl/t-x5Zi1P1Zw1
For Power BI I have not been successful so far. Can someone help me?

Best regards, hwoehler

Information about calculations:

The calculation works according to the formula: new value = ((final value / initial value) ^(1 / n)) - 1

The divisor (initial value) is fixed per column (the year on the x-axis). It is a constant (per column!). The dividend (= the final value) increases by 1 until it reaches the year 2018 (maximum of year). The final value is therefore flexible. The exponent also changes the value n (= the duration in years). This increases logically over the years. Columnwise, one line is always started later, as before.

How the calculations work, you can see on the pictures here: https://we.tl/t-hEQNrFJ9FS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hwoehler solution is attached, the core of it is following DAX measure

Value = 
VAR __yearonColumn = CALCULATE( MAX ( FSE[Year Column] ), ALLEXCEPT( FSE, FSE[Year] ) )
VAR __cYear =MAX ( DateTable[Year] )
VAR __pYear = __cYear - 1
VAR __prevYear = 
 CALCULATE( 
    [Parv Last Value of Year],
    ALL ( DateTable[Year]),  FSE[Year] = __pYear )
VAR __currYear =
 CALCULATE( 
    ALLEXCEPT( FSE, FSE[Year] )
)
VAR __identity =  __yearonColumn - __pYear 
RETURN
IF ( __identity > 0 && __prevYear <> BLANK(),
    (
        DIVIDE( __currYear, __prevYear ) ^ 
        DIVIDE( 1, __identity )
    ) - 1
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@hwoehler what is the conditional formatting based on?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@hwoehler this is how it looks like in Power BI, just need to conditional format it

image.png

Hello @parry2k,

this is exactly what i need. So how do you solve it?

Regards, hwoehler

@hwoehler solution is attached, the core of it is following DAX measure

Value = 
VAR __yearonColumn = CALCULATE( MAX ( FSE[Year Column] ), ALLEXCEPT( FSE, FSE[Year] ) )
VAR __cYear =MAX ( DateTable[Year] )
VAR __pYear = __cYear - 1
VAR __prevYear = 
 CALCULATE( 
    ALL ( DateTable[Year]),  FSE[Year] = __pYear )
VAR __currYear =
 CALCULATE( 
    ALLEXCEPT( FSE, FSE[Year] )
)
VAR __identity =  __yearonColumn - __pYear 
RETURN
IF ( __identity > 0 && __prevYear <> BLANK(),
    (
        DIVIDE( __currYear, __prevYear ) ^ 
        DIVIDE( 1, __identity )
    ) - 1
)

@hwoehler I think this is what you are looking for, it is from power bi

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors