Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mahoney
Frequent Visitor

Create List of Counts of Replicate Items

I'm trying to create a list of the number of times each item appears in a list.  For example, {"A", "B", "B", "C", "C", "C"} would yield either {1,2,3} or {1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3}.  I plan to do a List.Max() of the result, so both of those would give same result.  I am pretty close and can get it to work when the search list is fixed, as below:

[ListA] is the column of Lists, one row of which is {"A", "B", "B", "C", "C", "C"}

= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "List of Counts Fixed", each List.Transform([ListA], each List.Count(List.FindText({"A", "B", "B", "C", "C", "C"}, _))))

the above results in {1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3}

But if I use a column reference as the search list. I get a list of "Error"s.  I get same if I reference the original list or if i first duplicate the column and reference a "different" column of lists.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "List of Counts", each List.Transform([ListA], each List.Count(List.FindText([ListA],_))))

How do I properly reference the list on the current row of the table in the above code?  Is there a much simpler way to go I am missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoney
Frequent Visitor

Well, I figured it out on my own, but here is solution in case anyone is curioius. I needed to store the list in a variable after the initial "each".

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom", each let templist=[ListA] in List.Transform([ListA], each List.Count(List.FindText(templist, _))))

Comments still welcomed on an easier way to do same.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mahoney
Frequent Visitor

Well, I figured it out on my own, but here is solution in case anyone is curioius. I needed to store the list in a variable after the initial "each".

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom", each let templist=[ListA] in List.Transform([ListA], each List.Count(List.FindText(templist, _))))

Comments still welcomed on an easier way to do same.

@mahoney,

Glad to hear the issue is solved, you can accept your solution as anwser, other community members would benefit from this solution when they get same issues.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.