Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Pikachu-Power
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Create Date Hierachy

hi all,

i have a simple date column EI. I want to create a Date Hierarchy like

DH.PNG

With Date Hierachy / Year / Quarter / Month / Day and want to use this column in a measure.

Should be simple or? But coundnt find a way to do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nothing works. At the date column i dont see this white date kalender picture which i want to expand. when i create hierchy no year/month/quarter/day is automatically added and i cant use it in measures.  

The hierachy is always a new column that i dont want.

Solved was a mistake. cant take it back.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@Pikachu-Power ,

Make sure that you DateColumn has Date format so automatically it will create hierarchy. Else Create three different Column for Year, Month, and Date then add into hierarchy. 

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Nothing works. At the date column i dont see this white date kalender picture which i want to expand. when i create hierchy no year/month/quarter/day is automatically added and i cant use it in measures.  

The hierachy is always a new column that i dont want.

Solved was a mistake. cant take it back.

Hierachies i cant use in measures right? How do i create this white date table which i can expand to the hierachie?

Hi,

2 solutions were given to you :

Solution 1 :

You create the columns and then add them to your date to create manually a hierachy. That means that first using DAX functions you'll add columns using YEAR({YourDate]), MONTH([YourDate])... Once you have created all required columns, go back to the Report View and in the Fiels panel, use the Right click or drag and drop to create hierarchies.

More details here : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-Hierarchy/td-p/479913

But my recommendation, likewise other helpers, is to create a date table.

In the post of @amitchandak you have many links to know more about the instructions to create one.

Let us know which solution you choose

AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

Normally date hierarchy are automatically made by Power BI, except if your set it differently in the option of the software.

If your table is marked as a Date Table, then you will not have hierarchy.

Anyway the best option for you might be to create a Date Table and linked it to your fact table. The you'll have all the hierarchy you need.

Another option is to create your columns using YEAR(), MONTH() functions.

But still my recommendation would be to create a date table. If you want to know more about it, many discussions have been made :

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=table%20date&noSyno...

Hope this help

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.