Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jengwt
Helper V
Helper V

Crate Bar Chart using R Visual

Hello, I am having some trouble using the R visual to create a bar chart. Yes, I know I could do it with the vanilla tool, but because of certain end user requests, I can't use it because it lacks certain aesthetics. So, I thought I would try using the R visualization.

I have a table with lots of transactional data, 'Monthly'. 7 of the columns in this table record the volumes made on a day-of-week basis; MON_VOL, TUE_VOl, .... FRI_VOL, SAT_VOL. I want the sums of each of these DOW volumes to be its own vertical bar, with a label pertaining to the DOW; "Mon", "Tue", ...

I also want the sums to be responsive to a date slicer. Will this be the case by default, since in theory only the data filtered by the data slicer should go to the R visual, or will I have to code that as well?

I know very little about R, so I would apprecite any help you can provide.

I did some googling when I thought of the idea, and this is what I have so far:

1) It looks like I'll have to tell R that each of those columns is a column (they're objects?).

The main obstacle I'm having to getting started is that I keep getting the error: "object not found"

2) Then I'll have to have it sum each column.

3) Then I can actually create the barplot:

barplot(dataset, main="Day of Week Volume", 
   xlab="Day of Week")

The greyed out section of the code was provided by Power BI. These are some notes I had from a discussion with a friend who dabbles in R.

rbarplot.PNG

Addition: Getting a little closer now. Still not sure what's going on:

rbarplot2.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jengwt,

Try the demo in the attachment, please. The names aren't the legend in your expected result.

bar_names <- c("MON", "TUE", "WED", "THU", "FRI", "SAT", "SUN")
bar_height <- unlist(dataset[1, ])
barplot(dataset, main = "Day of Week Volumn", xlab = "Day of Week", height = bar_height, width = 3000, col = 'red', beside = FALSE, names.arg = bar_names)

create_bar_chart

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft Dale,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, using that code, I get the following result, which was very similar to one of the ones that I posted in the OP. Also, I notice that the data seems to be in ascending order, rather than by the order in which they were coded into the visual, or the labels. Is there a way to change this?

Capture.PNG

Hi @jengwt,

Can you share your data? A dummy one is enough? It would also be great if you can share the expected result?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft No, a dummy chart will not work. The chart needs to update depending on the selections of the user.

Let me see what I can put together for you as far as dummy data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.