Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bmcgirr

Crash on startup

Hi,

I get the following error when I try to start Power BI desktop and I've had no luck with a response to "Send a frown"

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on?

Cheers,

Brett

Error Message:

We weren't able to connect to the model.

Stack Trace:

System.ApplicationException: We weren't able to connect to the model. ---> System.ArgumentException: Argument should be true.
Parameter name: this.DynamicPort > 0
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Models.Verify.IsTrue(Boolean expression, String argumentName)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.EnsureServiceIsReady()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.Start(Process process)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.EnsureStarted()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<CreateDatabase>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.OnErrorClarify(Action action, String clarification)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.OnErrorClarify(Action action, String clarification)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.CreateDatabase(Stream abfStream)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.CreateDatabase(Version version, Stream abfStream)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.BIPackageCreatorDesktop.LoadDataModel(IAnalysisServicesService analysisServices, BIPackage package)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.BIPackageCreatorDesktop.TryInitializeAnalysisServicesDatabase(BIPackage biPackage, BIPackageOpenError& error)

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Main>b__2()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bmcgirr

I've found a workaround that's helped me progress. I created a new windows user without any special characters in the name. Now, running power BI as that user works fine.

My guess at the root cause is incorrect encoding of special characters into XML configuration which is passed between the various components of Power BI.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
diegoestrada

Hi, I had the same issue, but i finally fix it.

I completely uninstalled the PowerBI Desktop x64 using revo uninstaller. Then, I cleaned the registry and temps using ccleaner. When i finish to clean the system, I have restarted my computer and then I installed the powerbi x32 version.

Technical details: PowerBI desktop Version: 2.39.4526.362 32-bit (septiembre de 2016)

OS: Windows 10 Enterprise x64 10.0.14393 compilación 14393

Intel core i 7

12gb ram

Nvidia GeFOrce 970m

Hope this hel someone to solve this little bug.

bmcgirr

I've found a workaround that's helped me progress. I created a new windows user without any special characters in the name. Now, running power BI as that user works fine.

My guess at the root cause is incorrect encoding of special characters into XML configuration which is passed between the various components of Power BI.

djx

Hello, i have the same problem... After spending three hours (reinstalling etc.) still without solution... 😞 Please help!

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Does that happen when you try to open a specific .pbix file or does it happen when opening the program i.e. from the start menu?

It happens when I open the program from the start menu. The splash screen shows for about 30 seconds before the error message.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.