Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rayinOz
Helper III
Helper III

Course Enrolments - IF or Measure?

Hello,

I have a table that contains user records for courses they have enrolled in. I need to somehow flag a user that has completed all three courses. Maybe course name = x and status = completed AND course name = y and status = completed AND course name = z and status = completed THEN create a table with the Employee name and Username?

I don't know of the best way to do this.

2017-06-01_16-25-03.png

Thanks,

rayinoz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a separate table for the users, where we can make them as "Wildly Complete" ?

In general, I want to think about this as "How many distinct courses are there?"  and "How many distinct courses did this student complete" -- a bit o' comparison between those to flag.

Maybe... given these measures:

Distinct Courses := DISTINCTCOUNT(MyTable[Course Name])

Completed Courses := CALCULATE([Distinct Courses], MyTable[Course Status] = "Completed")

Total Courses := CALCULATE([Distinct Courses], ALL(MyTable))

We can create a calc column, that is wildly untested but an interesting idea...

VAR TotalCourses = [Total Courses]
VAR MyCompletions = [Completed Courses]
RETURN
   IF (MyCompletions = TotalCourses, 1, 0)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@rayinOz have you looked at the switch statement, more info here (although i am not sure if you can pass it that many arguments in one condition)

https://powerpivotpro.com/2015/03/the-diabolical-genius-of-switch-true/

another way of doing it could be using this logic I think

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/marco_russo/archive/2014/08/18/possible-switch-optimization-in-dax-powerpiv...

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for the reply!

How about if i simplify it another way... 

I first filter the table to show only completions. Then do a count on username.

If a username is listed 3 times (completed 3 courses), the username is added to a new table. If not 3 times (2 or 1 time) then it doesn't get added to the new table.

I'm thinking this will eliminate the course name variable and the course status variable.

How would i do this? 

Rayinoz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a separate table for the users, where we can make them as "Wildly Complete" ?

In general, I want to think about this as "How many distinct courses are there?"  and "How many distinct courses did this student complete" -- a bit o' comparison between those to flag.

Maybe... given these measures:

Distinct Courses := DISTINCTCOUNT(MyTable[Course Name])

Completed Courses := CALCULATE([Distinct Courses], MyTable[Course Status] = "Completed")

Total Courses := CALCULATE([Distinct Courses], ALL(MyTable))

We can create a calc column, that is wildly untested but an interesting idea...

VAR TotalCourses = [Total Courses]
VAR MyCompletions = [Completed Courses]
RETURN
   IF (MyCompletions = TotalCourses, 1, 0)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.