Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

escarzl1
Frequent Visitor

County and Numerical Labels in ArcGIS Map Visual | Power BI

Hello, I am fairly new to expermenting with arcGIS on Power BI and I was hoping to get some help.

I am looking for a way to show a County color coded map based on the Number of Applications, and show County's name AND a Numerical Value (Number of applications) as the labels. It seems I can only do one label, not both at the same time. I don't want to rely on "Tooltips" because this report will be exported as a PDF and sent to many users as part of a newsletter, so hovering over a county won't mean anything once exported.

My table is structured this way:

Agency Name

Staff Name

Application Type

Zip Code

County
Agency Name 1Staff 1Type 198409Pierce
Agency Name 1Staff 1Type 298408Pierce
Agency Name 1Staff 2Type 398409Pierce
Agency Name 1Staff 2Type 298409Pierce
Agency Name 1Staff 2Type 298115King
Agency Name 1Staff 3Type 298040King
Agency Name 2Staff 4Type 398070King
Agency Name 2Staff 4Type 298012Snohomish
Agency Name 2Staff 4Type 198270Snohomish
Agency Name 2Staff 4Type 198270Snohomish

I created a measure that counts the number of applications:

Count of Applications = COUNTA('Table'[Agency Name])

Then I tried to create a measure that concatenates the [County], a line break and the [Count of Applications], but it doesn't work and I think it has to do with the fact that the count is a calculation and that there are many values in the County column.

My next step was to try creating a calculated column:

MapLabels = 
'Table'[County]&"
"&CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Count of Applications]), ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Agency Name]))

This actually worked visually but all the numbers are wrong. 

I am not sure what other steps I can take. Should I reformat my table by grouping? Is there a better way to calculate concatenated values? any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @escarzl1 

You can also  create a color measure, then put the measure to the color field

e.g 

Measure = SWITCH(TRUE(),SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Country])="Pierce","Green",SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Country])="King","Red")

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
escarzl1
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:

I modified the Map Labels calculated column like this:

MapLabels = 
'Table'[County]&"
"&CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Count of Applications]), ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Agency],'Table'[County]))

I insterted the [MapLabels] in the tooltip and used the tooltip as a label in the map settings:

1057Troubleshoot_LabelSettings.PNG

This seemed to work when I filter the map by certain Agencies, but not by every Agency.

Example 1: The numbers on the table on the left add up to the numbers on the Map

1057Troubleshoot.PNG

Example 2: I selected a different Agency in the filter and the numbers on the table don't add up to what is shown in the Map

1057Troubleshoot_2.PNG

Can someone help me understand what can be fixed on my [MapLabels] calculation?

Hi @escarzl1 

The calculated column is a static value and cannot be dynamiclly changed by the filter, so you can transfer the calculated column to a measure.

MapLabels = 
'Table'[County]&"
"&CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Count of Applications]), FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Agency Name]in VALUES('Table'[Agency Name])&&[Country]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[County])))

Then set the measure to as a label in the map settings

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for looking into this! I tried it out but I am getting this error message:

A single value for column 'County' in table 'Table' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

It is highlighting the very first reference as the error:

MapLabels =
'Table'[County]&"
"&CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Count of Applications]), FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Agency Name]in VALUES('Table'[Agency Name])&&[Country]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[County])))

I modified it by adding MAX to the 1st column reference and it fixed the Map labels themselves:
MapLabels =
MAX('Table'[County])&"

Now the part that doesn't work is the color coding! Seems like no matter what, each county is now colored the same color. Not sure why the Map Labels would affect the color-coding on the map when the color coding is based on the [Count of Applications] values all by themselves. Any ideas?

Hi @escarzl1 

You can also  create a color measure, then put the measure to the color field

e.g 

Measure = SWITCH(TRUE(),SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Country])="Pierce","Green",SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Country])="King","Red")

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.