Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Countrows on calculatetable not showing total unless filter is met

I have the following piece of code to try and calculate the number of members that have lost more than 20% in turnover the last month.

VAR __PREV_MONTH = CALCULATE([Turnover Sum], DATEADD('Date'[Date], -1, MONTH))
    VAR MOM_RESULT = DIVIDE([Turnover Sum] - __PREV_MONTH, __PREV_MONTH)
VAR RESULT = CALCULATETABLE(VALUES('Purchase Joined'[Member Key]), FILTER('Purchase Joined', MOM_RESULT < -0.2))
RETURN
COUNTROWS(RESULT)

The first two variables are simply calculating the turnover and month-over-month.

Everything works fine except that it won't return the total. The reason for that is that the variable RESULT has the filter on -0.2, which is what I want to evaluate for each member. But the total Month-over-Month aggregated on all members is a positive number on 30%. 

If I change the code to the following:
CALCULATETABLE(VALUES('Purchase Joined'[Member Key]), FILTER('Purchase Joined', MOM_RESULT > -0.2))

Basically looking for any members with a Month-over-Month larger than -0.2 (-20%), it will show the total. So what happens here is that the total row is looking at the filter criteria as well and filters based on that. In my head that's incredibly stupid, but hey maybe there's a reason for that in Power BI. 

Now to my question: How can I solve this? I simply want to count the number of members with that filter. Is it possible for me to use the filter function but let the total row ignore that and simply sum everything? 
4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try like

last month.
VAR RESULT = Countx(FILTER('Purchase Joined',VALUES('Purchase Joined'[Member Key]), MOM_RESULT < -0.2),MOM_RESULT)
RETURN
RESULT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't work. Your query does not work, but I changed it to: 

VAR RESULT = Countx(FILTER('Purchase Joined',VALUES('Purchase Joined'[Member Key])), MOM_RESULT < -0.2)
RETURN
RESULT

Received the error message:

MdxScript(Model) (163, 90) Calculation error in measure 'Purchase Joined'[Members at risk MoM]: The function COUNTX cannot work with values of type Boolean.

@Anonymous , My Mistake

VAR RESULT = Countx(FILTER(VALUES('Purchase Joined'[Member Key]), MOM_RESULT < -0.2),MOM_RESULT)
RETURN
RESULT

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get the same result as previously. It won't show the totals due to the total not being less than -0.2. If I "flip" the greater than sign (MOM_RESULT > -0.2), it shows the total. That is due to the total being 28.36%, which is larger than -20%. So your query still evaluates the code on a row-by-row basis. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors