Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Countries missing on filled map visual

Has anyone had any problems using a filter of countries with the filled map visual? I have a number of countries not found. I have a country slicer and filled map visual, along with other charts.

I have categorised my filter column "Countries" as "Country/Region" in the Desktop, so it should know what it's looking at.

Countries not found (so far) but found on www.bing.com/maps:

Bangladesh

Western Sahara

Morocco

Countries/Regions not found and not found on www.bing.com/maps:

Occupied Palestinian Territories ( or OPT)

Polynesia (but the name is found; the area is not outlined)

Has anyone else had problems with this? Or am I doing something wrong? About 50 other countries work fine. Odd. I get that OPT and Polynesia might not register (for differing reasons) but Bangladesh? 

UPDATE: using 3-letter codes (https://countrycode.org/), I have got Bangladesh working. Morocco works but includes Western Sahara. Western Sahara's code (ESH) takes me to Estonia! No codes for OPT and Polynesia as expected (as not recognised countries).

UPDATE: Philippines & Domincan Republic removed from above list due to misspelling.

Has anyone else trodden this path???? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

To create a filled map, the location data should include Bing Map-supported geographic data, such as country/region, state/province, or postal code.

In your resource data, all the values in same hierarchy? When Geographic Structure is Different, it's easy to display wrong locations on filled map. Please review this article for more detials.

Thanks,
Angelia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Befekadu

Ethiopia is missing

Befekadu_0-1661745455948.png

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

To create a filled map, the location data should include Bing Map-supported geographic data, such as country/region, state/province, or postal code.

In your resource data, all the values in same hierarchy? When Geographic Structure is Different, it's easy to display wrong locations on filled map. Please review this article for more detials.

Thanks,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Angelia for the link - interesting, and your general points are worth considering - I've accepted as solutiion.

I wasn't actually using geographic structure - just country names, but I might try and resolve some disputed areas in that way. Reza Rad's article (your link) - http://radacad.com/power-bi-filled-map-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly - shows that he too has struggled to find solutions (albeit local level in New Zealand).

I have now got Bangladesh working - something in my model I suspect. So the rest are disputed countries/regions.

Ola
Frequent Visitor

Similar problem with the ISO 2 code. Since Microsoft has (currently) decided to reserve the 2-letter codes for US states.

The 2-letter code is essential for dense Plott-chart-labels.

...I do hope Microsoft will follow international standard territories: city/regions/continents/etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.