Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobertoAnd
Regular Visitor

Counting occurrences in a text with filters on table

hi all,

I have a table like this (Table1):

Agenzia Zona
AAA      PC
BBB       PV
CCC       NO VC LC MI
AAA      MI BG
AAA      PC PR
CCC       MI
DDD      SP GE
FFF        SP GE

with a calculated column 

Count = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table1,CONTAINSSTRING(Table1[Zona],Table2[Prov]))

I have this risult in Table2:

Prov Count
MI       3
NO      1
PC       2
PV       1
SP       2

Now: if I filter Agenzia in Table1, Table2 remains the same above.
For example filtering Agenzia = "AAA" I'd want:
Prov Count
MI       1
NO      0
PC       2
PV       0
SP       0

How can I do this?
Thank you
Roberto
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

First step is to bring the data into usable format.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("TctBCsAgDETRq4SsvYQZGxFqGyy4Ee9/jVpbqMs3/GmNvffs2MDdNRaRB3UCwMBxUgXtoJzm+vY5kcTFBrKyvL44hDBwGcVtWlV/9xs=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Agenzia = _t, Zona = _t]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Zona", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Zona")
in
    #"Split Column by Delimiter"

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

Next step is to create a dimension tables with your agency names and zones. You can do that in Power Query or in DAX

Table2 = VALUES(Table1[Agenzia])
Table3 = VALUES(Table1[Zona])

Then link them in the data model

lbendlin_2-1634607586267.png

And finally create your visuals.  Select "Show items with no data" or add zero to the count measure.

lbendlin_1-1634607521475.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RobertoAnd
Regular Visitor

what can I say? THANK YOU!!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

First step is to bring the data into usable format.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("TctBCsAgDETRq4SsvYQZGxFqGyy4Ee9/jVpbqMs3/GmNvffs2MDdNRaRB3UCwMBxUgXtoJzm+vY5kcTFBrKyvL44hDBwGcVtWlV/9xs=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Agenzia = _t, Zona = _t]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Zona", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Zona")
in
    #"Split Column by Delimiter"

How to use this code: Create a new Blank Query. Click on "Advanced Editor". Replace the code in the window with the code provided here. Click "Done".

Next step is to create a dimension tables with your agency names and zones. You can do that in Power Query or in DAX

Table2 = VALUES(Table1[Agenzia])
Table3 = VALUES(Table1[Zona])

Then link them in the data model

lbendlin_2-1634607586267.png

And finally create your visuals.  Select "Show items with no data" or add zero to the count measure.

lbendlin_1-1634607521475.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.