Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thoms1
Frequent Visitor

Counting events in timeslots

Hi,

I only recently came accross Power Bi and now I'm lost with the following problem:

I have a table with each line time representing an event with a date-time timestamp. I want to analyse this table and count the events (by categories etc.) in pre-defined time slots. The in-built drill down function in Power Bi appears to go no further than a day, but I want to be able to see the data hourly or even in shorter intervals.

So I created a second table with time slots and wanted to add a column with the CALCULATE and COUNTa, and some FILTER functions:

1. part works but is of course only returning only the total number of entries in the table:

CALCULATE(COUNTa('events'[timestamp]))

I tried to add a FILTER function

column = CALCULATE(COUNTa('events'[timestamp]), FILTER (DATESBETWEEN('events'[timestamp],'timeslot'[from],'timeslot'[to])))

But it returns a syntax error not accepting the paramters for the DATESBETWEEN function.

A query like this works in excel (e.g. with countifs or sumproduct), in SQL it would be a task for a join, but how to solve this in Power BI?

Below is a snapshot that illustrates the principle setup of the two tables.

Would be great, if someone can help!

Thanks, Thomas

example2_Excel_2017_12_13_17_30_43.jpg=

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@thoms1,

Create the following measure in the Timeslots table and check if you get expected result.

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTA(events2[Cat]),FILTER(ALL(events2),events2[timestamp]>=MAX(Timeslots[From]) && events2[timestamp]<=MAX(Timeslots[To])))

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@thoms1,

In your events tables, create the following columns. Then change data type of Date column  to Date, and change data type of Time column to Time.

Date = DATE(YEAR(events[timestamp]),MONTH(events[timestamp]),DAY(events[timestamp]))
Time = TIME(HOUR(events[timestamp]),MINUTE(events[timestamp]),SECOND(events[timestamp]))

This way, you are able to drag Date column and Time column to Axis, and drill down to Time level.
1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

many thanks for your message indicating how to drill down to hour-level!

However, I am still looking for a way to count events that occured during pre-set timeslots.

Any idea how to solve this?

Regards

Thomas

Hi, @thoms1

try this:

1) create new calculated column (f. ex. HourStep) in EVENTS tab:

HourStep = CEILING([timestamp]*100;1) + HOUR([timestamp])

2) count you events:

EventsNum = 
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(EVENTS);ALLEXCEPT(Records;Records[HourStep])
)

Let me known if its worked

Best regs

thoms1
Frequent Visitor

Hi McCow,

thanks for your help. I added a calculate column with the ceiling function. I modified your query slightly to

HourStep = CEILING([timestamp],TIME(1,0,0))

Now I have for each event a rounded date-time.

Yet I 'm lost with regard to your second step. The string "Records..." is not recognised, apparently referring to data fields not part of my model.

My problem is that I'm looking for a way to count events in pre-defined timeslots. Excel / SQL provide functions such as "countifs" or have where conditions and I wonder why such functions are not implemented in DAX.

Many thanks & best regards

Thomas

@thoms1 wrote:

Hi McCow,

... skiped...

My problem is that I'm looking for a way to count events in pre-defined timeslots. Excel / SQL provide functions such as "countifs" or have where conditions and I wonder why such functions are not implemented in DAX.

Of course @thoms1, DAX has a lot of functions, but the strongest (and complicated) part of this is the combination of this.

I can better show an examples on your own data , if you send as PBIX (not all of total, one short example set will be enough).
Or someone can send you abstract example / solution.

thoms1
Frequent Visitor

Hi McCow,

I have uploaded the model to the Power Bi webspace. https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNDBhYWE2OWYtYTFhNC00MDllLTlhNDgtNTc5MTIyODhmZTkxIiwidCI6ImQxY...

Don't know if that works, or how I could else send the pbix.

I also tried with DATESBETWEEN but this is returning error messages like in this older post here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DATESBETWEEN-Date-and-Time-Field/td-p/17462

Would be great if you can find a solution!

Best

Thomas

Hi Thomas again.

There is a tons of free upload services. Try in google: "upload file without registration". Try for example THIS. It's quick and easy.

Enjoy

thoms1
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, McCow,

I think I'm getting there. Hope this link is working:

https://ufile.io/eyz1s

And hope you find a way to help me solving this problem!

Best

Thomas

@thoms1,

Create the following measure in the Timeslots table and check if you get expected result.

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNTA(events2[Cat]),FILTER(ALL(events2),events2[timestamp]>=MAX(Timeslots[From]) && events2[timestamp]<=MAX(Timeslots[To])))

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft , 

I do have a similar situation with little more complexity.  Both of my tables contains an additional field called 'Server'. I need to calculate the number of timeslot events for individual server.  Basically, I do have an additional categorical field corresponding to both Events and Timeslot tables.  Can you please help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Yeedhi

Thanks, Lydia,

this is exactly what I was looking for!

Best

Thomas

Sorry @thoms1 , my mistake.

"Records" is my own test table 🙂 You must change Records to EVENTS in the second formula, like this:

EventsNum = 
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(EVENTS);ALLEXCEPT(EVENTS;EVENTS[HourStep])
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.