Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MilanRao06
Advocate I
Advocate I

Counting distinct values of the same dimension in multiple columns

Hi Community,

I have been trying to solve this use-case for a long, long time and now seeking your help. 

I have the below columns in my data. 

Expectation1Exp1_ScoreExpectation2Exp2_ScoreExpectation3Exp3_Score
AAA5BBB6CCC5
AAA6CCC4  
BBB4AAA3CCC2
CCC7AAA4BBB6
AAA7BBB5  

I want add a scatter chart with the x-axis being % of each unique expectation and the y-axis being the average of each of the expectation. In summary the below should be the summarized data and the visual. 

ExpectationCountRatioAverage Score
AAA542%5
BBB433%5.25
CCC325%4.5

Capture_09Feb.PNG

I ofcourse want to slice and dice using the various dimensions.

Please help me crack this.

Regards,

Milan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MilanRao06,

You can refer to below steps to achieve your requirement.

1. Create new table  to store the merged table.

Formula:

Merged Table = 
FILTER(DISTINCT(UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet1,"Expectation",[Expectation1],"Score",[Exp1_Score]),SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet1,"Expectation",[Expectation2],"Score",[Exp2_Score]),SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet1,"Expectation",[Expectation3],"Score",[Exp3_Score]))),[Score]<>BLANK()||[Expectation]<>BLANK())

2. Summarize merged table.

Formula:

Result Table = 
var total= SUMX(ALL('Merged Table'),[Score]) 
return
SUMMARIZE('Merged Table','Merged Table'[Expectation],"Count",COUNT('Merged Table'[Expectation]),"Radio",SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Merged Table'),[Expectation]=EARLIER('Merged Table'[Expectation])),[Score])/total,"Average",AVERAGE('Merged Table'[Score]))

3. Use result table to create scatter chart.

Expectation to Detail and Legend fields, Radio to x-Axis , Average to Y-Axis, Count to Size field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

I solved this. 

Below is the table of Merged Table.

MergedTable = FILTER(UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS('Sheet1',"Unique Id",'Sheet1'[Unique id],"Expectation",'Sheet1'[Exp 1 Master Code 1],"Score",'Sheet1'[EXP1 RAT1]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Sheet1',"Unique Id",'Sheet1'[Unique id],"Expectation",'Sheet1'[Exp 2 Master Code 1],"Score",'Sheet1'[EXP2 RAT2]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Sheet1',"Unique Id",'Sheet1'[Unique id],"Expectation",'SHeet1'[Exp 3 Master Code 1],"Score",'Sheet1'[EXP3 RAT3])),[Score]<>BLANK()&&[Expectation]<>BLANK())

I then created a 1:M relationship between the Unique Id columns of MergedTable and Sheet1.

Then plotted the scatter-plot with Details = Expectation, Legend = Expectation, Y-axis = Avg of Score and X-axis = Count of Score. Since this table is linked to the master Sheet1, I am able to slice & dice based on the dimensions in Sheet1. 

Thanks again for the solution @v-shex-msft.

Regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MilanRao06,

You can refer to below steps to achieve your requirement.

1. Create new table  to store the merged table.

Formula:

Merged Table = 
FILTER(DISTINCT(UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet1,"Expectation",[Expectation1],"Score",[Exp1_Score]),SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet1,"Expectation",[Expectation2],"Score",[Exp2_Score]),SELECTCOLUMNS(Sheet1,"Expectation",[Expectation3],"Score",[Exp3_Score]))),[Score]<>BLANK()||[Expectation]<>BLANK())

2. Summarize merged table.

Formula:

Result Table = 
var total= SUMX(ALL('Merged Table'),[Score]) 
return
SUMMARIZE('Merged Table','Merged Table'[Expectation],"Count",COUNT('Merged Table'[Expectation]),"Radio",SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Merged Table'),[Expectation]=EARLIER('Merged Table'[Expectation])),[Score])/total,"Average",AVERAGE('Merged Table'[Score]))

3. Use result table to create scatter chart.

Expectation to Detail and Legend fields, Radio to x-Axis , Average to Y-Axis, Count to Size field.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the response @v-shex-msft.

Your solution did help me get the desired visual, albeit a static one. I wanted a visual that responds to the various filters in the dashboard. 

For example, in my example, each row of data has dimensions like Customer Name, Business Unit, Geo etc. The scatter plot should render based on the filters chosen.

Thanks,

Milan

I solved this. 

Below is the table of Merged Table.

MergedTable = FILTER(UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS('Sheet1',"Unique Id",'Sheet1'[Unique id],"Expectation",'Sheet1'[Exp 1 Master Code 1],"Score",'Sheet1'[EXP1 RAT1]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Sheet1',"Unique Id",'Sheet1'[Unique id],"Expectation",'Sheet1'[Exp 2 Master Code 1],"Score",'Sheet1'[EXP2 RAT2]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Sheet1',"Unique Id",'Sheet1'[Unique id],"Expectation",'SHeet1'[Exp 3 Master Code 1],"Score",'Sheet1'[EXP3 RAT3])),[Score]<>BLANK()&&[Expectation]<>BLANK())

I then created a 1:M relationship between the Unique Id columns of MergedTable and Sheet1.

Then plotted the scatter-plot with Details = Expectation, Legend = Expectation, Y-axis = Avg of Score and X-axis = Count of Score. Since this table is linked to the master Sheet1, I am able to slice & dice based on the dimensions in Sheet1. 

Thanks again for the solution @v-shex-msft.

Regards,

Milan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors