Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bswud

Counting character values from multiple columns

I've scrolled at least 20 help threads to no avail—amazes me if there isn't a simple solution out there—but no one has been looking for precisely the same thing as me.

So I have a dataset where school students do multiple subjects, anywhere from one to four. These subjects (e.g. "Maths", "English", "Architecture") are in four columns—a student either has just one entry in subject 1 if they studied one subject, or up to four entries, with each of their subjects in a separate column associated with their row.

It's very easy to plot a bar chart count of subject by subject for any individual column, but I want a sum of the most popular subjects to have studied. You can't just add in the extra columns, because then it gives you what other subjects (subject 2-4) someone studying a given subject 1 did.

Essentially, I want the total times any given subject, across all four columns, was studied. I know the answer because it's very trivial to do in R, but I want to work it through in Power BI as well. Any help massively appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bswud

Sorry not to explaining better.

Before creating measure, i go to "edit queries"->"Transform", select four subject columns, then select "unpivot columns", then "apply&&colse", next create measures.

Below is the table after transform

11.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bswud

Test with your table

Create measures

numbers of per subject selected = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[subject]),FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1,Table1[subject]),[Value]<>BLANK()))

6.png

5.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Thank you Maggie, that is what I'm looking for, but it doesn't work. I think because I'm not understanding what I should put for [Value], and I'm not understanding how many times I need to iterate the measure (for each subject number column?) I'd appreciate a tiny bit more explanation so I can try and understand the underlying issue.

Hi @bswud

Sorry not to explaining better.

Before creating measure, i go to "edit queries"->"Transform", select four subject columns, then select "unpivot columns", then "apply&&colse", next create measures.

Below is the table after transform

11.png

Best Regards

Maggie

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bswud

Assume your table is like

4.png

"1" represents the student has entries in this subject.

Then in Edit quieries, select all subject columns from "math" to "music", then in "Transform"->"Unpivot columns", the dataset would change as below

5.png

Then in Report view, create a measure to count the number of entries in each subject for all students

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Sheet4[Value]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet4,Sheet4[Attribute]))

6.png

But, for your final requirement about total time, i can't figure out since i don't know how your data look like.

Please share some data example with me so that i can help you efficiently.

Best Regards

Maggie

Thank you for the reply. No that is not at all how it looks, my apologies for describing it poorly. I can't share screenshots of the data itself because it's from a private project, but I'll mock up some similar data for explanation.

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 09.59.31.png

It looks like this. I want to count all the instances of all the unique subjects across all four columns. It's trivially easy to count them across one column, so I can see the "main" subject easily. But I can't get a summed chart across all four.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.