Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Counting Instances of contact over a selectable date range, help!

I'm looking for a bit of help.  I'm new to using powerbi and come from a background on excel so as you can imagine, I'm having a little trouble adjusting.

I want to be able to select a date range and have a visual show me how often customers had to call me.

something like:-

1 call     =  "this many"

2 calls   =  "this many"

3 calls   =  "this many"

4 calls   =  "this many"

What I have so far is a table with all my call data with an identifier and date/time for each customer contact and a seperate table distinctly listing my identifiers.  I want to create a measure on the second table that will tell me how many times each of the distinct identifiers appears in the first table.  Idea being that when I select a date range on my visual, the measure on table 2 will adjust to count within that.  I feel as though I'm missing something very important though.

I've tried to do the following:-

Measure = COUNTROWS( FILTER ('table1' , 'table1' [identifier] = 'table2' [identifier]))

This gives me the following error:

"A single value for column 'Account Number (Account)' in table 'Unique Accounts Table' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."

I get a red underline under 'table2'[identifier] as well.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction with this one?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you try the formula below to see if it works.Smiley Happy

Measure =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( 'table2'[identifier] ),
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER ( 'table1', 'table1'[identifier] = VALUES ( 'table2'[identifier] ) )
    ),
    COUNTROWS ( 'table1' )
)

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you try the formula below to see if it works.Smiley Happy

Measure =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( 'table2'[identifier] ),
    COUNTROWS (
        FILTER ( 'table1', 'table1'[identifier] = VALUES ( 'table2'[identifier] ) )
    ),
    COUNTROWS ( 'table1' )
)

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  v-ljerr-msft,

Thanks for for your suggestion.  This has worked but not the way I hoped.  When I come to filter by date on a visual using this measure, it doesn't re-adjust itself to look at only the data in table 1 between the 2 dates I select.  I'm maybe misunderstanding how measures work completely so I'll go back to the books and learn some more.

I can get the view I'm looking for now however if I were to now find away to create a new table from table 1 between date ranges which I'm sure I can work out.  I'll accept this one as answered and thank you once again for your help.

Kind Regards

Scottit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.