Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Countif in New Table

Hello -

I am very new to Power BI and I am trying to create a visualization of the status of various projects. My Data looks something like this: 

ProjectStep 1Step 2Step 3
ACompletedIn ProgressNot Started
BIn ProgressIn ProgressIn Progress
CCompletedCompletedCompleted
DCompletedNot StartedNot Started
EIn ProgressIn ProgressNot Started

There are a total of 9 steps and about 300 total projects. My goal is to count the status for each step to then display as a chart. I want the data to look something like this: 

Step CompletedIn ProgressNot Started
Step 1320
Step 2131
Step 3113

Whenever I try to create a calculated column I can only get the count for one of the steps. Can someone help get me on the correct path? 

Much appreciated. 

Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi jack_oplav,

To achieve your requirement, click column [Step1], [Step2] and [Step3], then click unpivot columns like below:

1.PNG 

Then, click column [value] and click pivot columns based on column [Project], the result is like below:

2.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello -

I am very new to Power BI and I am trying to create a visualization of the status of various projects. My Data looks something like this: 

ProjectStep 1Step 2Step 3
ACompletedIn ProgressNot Started
BIn ProgressIn ProgressIn Progress
CCompletedCompletedCompleted
DCompletedNot StartedNot Started
EIn ProgressIn ProgressNot Started

There are a total of 9 steps and about 300 total projects. My goal is to count the status for each step to then display as a chart. I want the data to look something like this: 

Step CompletedIn ProgressNot Started
Step 1320
Step 2131
Step 3113

Whenever I try to create a calculated column I can only get the count for one of the steps. Can someone help get me on the correct path? 

Much appreciated. 

Jack

Hi jack_oplav,

To achieve your requirement, click column [Step1], [Step2] and [Step3], then click unpivot columns like below:

1.PNG 

Then, click column [value] and click pivot columns based on column [Project], the result is like below:

2.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! This is just what I was looking for. 

I created the new table (Table 2) by duplicating the original table (Table 1) and doing the pivot steps you suggested. When I create the chart based on the Table 2, it does not filter in the report for Table 1 filters. I know the two tables need to be related, but I thought that duplicating Table 1 would automatically update the values for Table 2. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.