Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count ytd with multiple date columns

Hi,

I'm trying to count the number of assignments that has been done ytd and mtd.

Also, I'm counting assignment that has ended.

I have this table Assignments:AssignmentsAssignments

I created a date table:

DatesDates

I've connected dates to startdate and enddate:

connectionsconnections

So, As I said. trying to count the number of assignments, and have been several ways to do it. I want it to be generic, in the way that it updates itself when it's new year etc.

I have counted total assigments:

TotalAssignments = COUNT(Assignments[AssignmentId])

gives me 3359

So ytd, this formula:

Candidates_ytd_datesytd = TOTALYTD(count(Assignments[AssignmentId]); Assignments[StartDate]; all(Assignments[StartDate]))

Gives me the result 2

Also:

Candidates_ytd_datesytd = 
     CALCULATE([TotalAssignments];
        DATESYTD('Dates'[Date].[Date]))

Gives me blank

Either way I do it, I get blank or 2. I've checked the data, and it should be 400something.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look closely at the [StartDate] and [EndDate] values in your Assignments table.  They are DATETIME, and not midnight values.  The Start time shown is 6:00 AM.  That will NOT match your calendar table for the same day at 12:00 AM.

Change the type on the [StartDate] and [EndDate] columns from DateTime to date, and you should be good.

Also, your model size should shrink a LOT.  You'll have a much lower cardinality in these 2 columns, because the # of unique values will be much lower.

If you truly need the time portion of the [StartDate] and [EndDate] columns, then split them out into [StartTime] and [EndTime]...adding 2 more columns to your model.  The resulting model should still be smaller, since the overall compression should be better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous .

Thanks a lot! I'm getting better results now.

But is it a way to use StartDate and EndDate that I have in my Assignment table now?

Assignments[EndDate].[Date] does not work anymore after I made the connection to the Dates

E.g: when I'm going to find candidates for the current month, this gives me 0 results
Candidates_starts_datesmtd = 
     CALCULATE([TotalYTD];
        DATESMTD(Dates[Date].[Date]))
And this gives me 4 (which is correct)
Candidates_starts_datesmtd = 
     CALCULATE([TotalYTD];
        DATESMTD(Assignments[StartDate]))
Since I'm unable to see the dates I get returned I get confued why one works and the other one don't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still having issues.

It really doesn't count properly. I've doble checked that the data is there, but it's not giving me the result's I want. No mater if I use dates.date or startdate.date

Like this:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(Assignments[AssignmentId]); NEXTQUARTER(Assignments[StartDate].[Date]))

Gives me blank. But it should have returned 0. Same if I use [StartDate].[Date]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.