Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kattlees
Post Patron
Post Patron

Count values from multiple columns into one.

I am trying to get a headcount of employees in a matrix. Each employee is assigned a "class" based on full time hourly, full time salary, PRN, or how part time.  How do I get the columns to show the count of a combination of classes so all full time are counted together and all prn and all part time? See below - the big one is what I am pulling (by class) and the small inset one is what I am trying to accomplish.

Matrix-Sample.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I created a new column and grouped the classes by using =LEFT(Fieldname, # of characters) and it worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
haozhong
Resolver I
Resolver I

To make things easier, if you are pulling data, pull them in a flat table in excel then add additional column to group them class 1, class 2 etc in excel using a separate lookup table.

Then use power BI to read it

Not following the pulling them into a flat table in excel?   We pull directly from an sql database. I have added new columns to combine first and last name, etc. Just can't figure out the counts.

Flat table as in

RN | Class 1A 8833 | Class 1 | 2 |

RN | Class 3 8833 | Class 3 | 1 |

Easier to count that way in power BI or pivot tables in excel

just my opinion

I created a new column and grouped the classes by using =LEFT(Fieldname, # of characters) and it worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.