Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jlankford
Advocate I
Advocate I

Count the number of zero sales over the most recent n-week time period

Sample Set Here

I'm having difficulty adding up the number of times a particular store location has zero sales over a 4-week period for a particular product. 

See the example above, what I need is a matrix that shows the audience only two things:

1.) The product in the row dimensions

2.) The number of stores where the most recent 4 weeks have shown zero sales

That's it. 

I have tried the following:

1.) Created a custom column where if the week is one of the most recent 4, then the value is 1, else, 0.

2.) Created a measure counting the number of stores where sales quantity = 0 AND the custom column value =1.

The result was that I got the count of stores that had zero sales during any of the 4 weeks. I need to show stores that have had zero sales for the entirety of the 4 weeks. 

So - if Store A, over the last 4 weeks, had one sale 4 weeks ago, and zero sales thereafter, it should not count; If store B over the last 4 weeks sold nothing, it should count. 

Please let me know if you have enough information to help. Thank you so much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jlankford 

I have uploaded a suggested solution here:

PBIX link

I recommend you create dimensions for Week, Store & Product. These sorts of calculations are safer when you have separate dimensions rather than relying on values being present in the fact table. I'm anticipating that you could have cases where a store sold zero of a particular product and no row exists rather than having an explicit zero value.

The final measure for counting number of stores with zero sales is:

Number of Stores with Zero Sales (recent 4 weeks) =
VAR MaxWeek =
    MAX ( Week[Week No] )
VAR WeekFilter =
    TREATAS ( GENERATESERIES ( Maxweek - 3, MaxWeek ), Week[Week No] )
// Convenient way of generating list of last 4 weeks
RETURN COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( Store, CALCULATE ( SUM ( DATA[sales] ), ALL ( Week ), WeekFilter ) = 0 ) )

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @jlankford 

Sharing doesn't seem to be enabled for the link you sent through - could you turn on sharing?

The basic approach I would suggest is to create a measure that iterates over a Customer dimension and for each customer filters to those with zero sales in the last 4 weeks (by applying a date filter).

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi again, 

I'm either not skilled enough to do this right, or the method you suggested is not giving me a correct answer. 

Something like:

LAST 4 WEEK SUM = CALCULATE(SUM(Master[POS Sales Dollars]), FILTER(Weeks,DATESBETWEEN(Weeks[WM Week,MAX(Weeks[WM Week]-4,MAX(Week[WM Week]))))

This accurately gives me the sum of the recent 4 weeks. 

Then, i will do something like:

COUNT ZERO WEEKS = CALCULATE(COUNT(Master[Store NBR]),[LAST 4 WEEK SUM] = 0)

This will only give me all the times when the entire product has zero sales over the past 4 weeks across every store. So:

If a product even sells one unit out of 4800 stores, then it won't count it

If a product is discontinued and for some reason still in my dataset, it's the only one counted.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Hi @jlankford 

I have uploaded a suggested solution here:

PBIX link

I recommend you create dimensions for Week, Store & Product. These sorts of calculations are safer when you have separate dimensions rather than relying on values being present in the fact table. I'm anticipating that you could have cases where a store sold zero of a particular product and no row exists rather than having an explicit zero value.

The final measure for counting number of stores with zero sales is:

Number of Stores with Zero Sales (recent 4 weeks) =
VAR MaxWeek =
    MAX ( Week[Week No] )
VAR WeekFilter =
    TREATAS ( GENERATESERIES ( Maxweek - 3, MaxWeek ), Week[Week No] )
// Convenient way of generating list of last 4 weeks
RETURN COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( Store, CALCULATE ( SUM ( DATA[sales] ), ALL ( Week ), WeekFilter ) = 0 ) )

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thank you for taking the time and helping me out! The numbers on my huge dataset are correct, and your method of solving this makes perfect sense, and frankly, I feel a little silly for not thinking of it earlier. 

This was a massive help. Thank you!

Thank you for your response, and I'm sorry for not sharing sooner. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jC2cg5XwLxyi24x2jW-0yUu8qLGlfuxc/view?usp=sharing

This will point you to the file. 

Thanks again - I will try to work out a way with your solution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.