Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count the number of re-entries

Hey everyone,

I'm stuck at a new problem and need some help. I'm supposed to count the number of times a product has been entered into our database. I have looked through similar quesitons like this one and this one but I couldn't apply either onto my situation so I wanted to ask in a new question.

My situation looks like this:

FrameIDEntryDateSubIndexEntryCount
THXY211.1.202011
THXY211.1.20205 
THXY211.1.20206 
THXY244.2.202011
THXY244.2.20205 
THXY255.2.202012
THXY255.2.20206 
THXY255.2.20205 
THXY258.4.20205(2?)
THXY258.4.20201 
THXY258.4.20206 

(In reality there are more rows and columns which I will leave out for clarity)

I am now supposed to count the number of times each FrameID has been entered and then I'm supposed to visualize the results (I was thinking about a bar chart but for now I first need to figure out how to count the entries). Each FrameID gets one entry in the data base, with a date, when the product is built. Afterwards, if a product breaks and gets taken to a repairshop then a second entry gets created, with a new date. If it breaks again it goes back to the shop and another entry is created and so on (I think all but maybe 5 FrameIDs have entries from at most two different dates). So THXY25 was built on 5.2.2020 and then taken to a repairshop on 8.4.2020. So THXY21 and THXY24 were entered once, THXY25 was entered twice. I need some way of counting this, maybe in a calculated column or something. I wanted to try to enter the amount of entries of this FrameID in the first row of the corresponding FrameIDs but I wasn't sure if thats even possible and I was not sure if that is the best way to visualize things later (I will happily consider any of your guys ideas on how to best enter the data). The two other answers I linked look like they are sort of similar, but I was not able to apply them onto my problem due to the nature of my database, where each product has multiple rows corresponding to it, and might only be distinguishable by date. I hope my question makes sense.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very thankful. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

you can create an index column.(make sure you data sort by frame ID)

Then create a new column

Column = 
VAR _id=maxx(FILTER(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[Index]=EARLIER(FrameEntries[Index])-1),FrameEntries[FrameID])
return if('FrameEntries'[FrameID]<>_id,CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FrameEntries[EntryDate]),ALLEXCEPT(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[FrameID])),blank())

1.PNG

if you want to show count for 5/2 and 8/4, try this

Column = 
VAR _date=maxx(FILTER(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[Index]=EARLIER(FrameEntries[Index])-1),'FrameEntries'[EntryDate])
return if('FrameEntries'[EntryDate]<>_date,CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FrameEntries[EntryDate]),ALLEXCEPT(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[FrameID])),blank())

1.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

you can create an index column.(make sure you data sort by frame ID)

Then create a new column

Column = 
VAR _id=maxx(FILTER(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[Index]=EARLIER(FrameEntries[Index])-1),FrameEntries[FrameID])
return if('FrameEntries'[FrameID]<>_id,CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FrameEntries[EntryDate]),ALLEXCEPT(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[FrameID])),blank())

1.PNG

if you want to show count for 5/2 and 8/4, try this

Column = 
VAR _date=maxx(FILTER(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[Index]=EARLIER(FrameEntries[Index])-1),'FrameEntries'[EntryDate])
return if('FrameEntries'[EntryDate]<>_date,CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FrameEntries[EntryDate]),ALLEXCEPT(FrameEntries,FrameEntries[FrameID])),blank())

1.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ryan_mayu This seems pretty much spot on for what I need, thank you! But for some reason when I create the index column and then enter your code it seems to reorganize the index column in some rows and I just cannot figure out why that is. I will keep playing around with it and report back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try this calculated column

EntryCount =
VAR CurFrameID = FrameEntries[FrameID]
VAR AggregatedTable =
    ALL ( FrameEntries[FrameID], FrameEntries[EntryDate] )
VAR EntryCount =
    COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( AggregatedTable, FrameEntries[FrameID] = CurFrameID ) )
RETURN
    EntryCount
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thanks for your fast answer! This seems to work, however it writes the "EntryCount" in every row, rather than only in one of the rows corresponding to a FrameID. I was trying to maybe write a IF query before your code and then set it so that it only enters the count number in the calculated column if it is the earliest entry of this FrameID, but so far that hasn't worked. Do you have an idea how I could achieve that? This is what it currently looks like:

THXY211.1.202011
THXY211.1.202051
THXY211.1.202061
THXY244.2.202011
THXY244.2.202051
THXY255.2.202012
THXY255.2.202062
THXY255.2.202052
THXY258.4.202052
THXY258.4.202012
THXY258.4.202062

I would prefer it to be only the red entries but I can't seem to achive that through IF queries. 

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.