Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Juan_Quikin5
Frequent Visitor

Count the number of campaigns on a date based on start and end dates

Hey guys! I hope you can help me with some issues. 

I have a table of active advertising campaigns with three columns: start date, end date, and de campaign ID.

I also have a date table.

But these two tables have no relationship in the model.

What I would like is to count the number of active campaigns on a certain date.

StartDateEndDateCampaignID
14/12/2022  30/12/2022  TRC-1
22/12/2022 13/01/2023TRC-2

In this example, the number of active campaigns on 20/12/2022 is 2 and on 04/01/2023 is 1.

Any help would be very appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rohit_singh
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Juan_Quikin5 ,

You could try something like this in Power Query. Please open a blank query--> Advanced editor-->Remove any existing code and copy and paste the below code.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTRNzTSNzIwMlJQUNJRMjZA4YYEOesaKsXqRCsZGcElgOKGxvoGhiCeMVSRkVJsLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [StartDate = _t, EndDate = _t, CampaignID = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"StartDate", type date}, {"EndDate", type date}, {"CampaignID", type text}}),
    #"Added Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Date", each {Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([EndDate])}),
    #"Expanded Date" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Date", "Date"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Date",{{"Date", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type1", {"Date"}, {{"CampaignCount", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Input

rohit_singh_0-1670004549564.png

Output

rohit_singh_1-1670004568802.png

You just need to add a new column that has a list of all dates between start and end days, and then expand them into new rows. Finally perform a group by operation on the new date column and count the number of rows, which is the number of active campaigns on a given day.

Kind regards,

Rohit

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Appreciate your kudos!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
rohit_singh
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Juan_Quikin5 ,

You could try something like this in Power Query. Please open a blank query--> Advanced editor-->Remove any existing code and copy and paste the below code.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTRNzTSNzIwMlJQUNJRMjZA4YYEOesaKsXqRCsZGcElgOKGxvoGhiCeMVSRkVJsLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [StartDate = _t, EndDate = _t, CampaignID = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"StartDate", type date}, {"EndDate", type date}, {"CampaignID", type text}}),
    #"Added Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Date", each {Number.From([StartDate])..Number.From([EndDate])}),
    #"Expanded Date" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Date", "Date"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Date",{{"Date", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type1", {"Date"}, {{"CampaignCount", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Input

rohit_singh_0-1670004549564.png

Output

rohit_singh_1-1670004568802.png

You just need to add a new column that has a list of all dates between start and end days, and then expand them into new rows. Finally perform a group by operation on the new date column and count the number of rows, which is the number of active campaigns on a given day.

Kind regards,

Rohit

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Appreciate your kudos!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.