Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count the Unique number of Combinations between Two Columns by Hour

Hi!

I'm trying to count the unique number of combinations between two columns by hour.

For example: I have data that looks like this:

2.PNG

I want to get the counts of unique pairings between Column 1 and Column 2:

3.PNG

Any help appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Power Query can take care of that for you:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlDSUXIEYielWB0EzxmFB5EzBLJcgNgVznMDYnc4zwOIPcE8IyDLC4i98fNiAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Hour = _t, Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Hour", Int64.Type}, {"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Hour"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(Table.Distinct(_)), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"Rows"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Power Query can take care of that for you:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlDSUXIEYielWB0EzxmFB5EzBLJcgNgVznMDYnc4zwOIPcE8IyDLC4i98fNiAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Hour = _t, Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Hour", Int64.Type}, {"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Hour"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(Table.Distinct(_)), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"Rows"

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisMendozathis is helpful! Thank you!

I probably oversimplified my data.

I have more columns than just those two and I worry that counting distinct rows will render the wrong results.
I want it to specifically looks at Column1 and Column2 and ignore everything else.

4.PNG

It seems like count distinct rows would show

0 - 3

1 - 3

2 - 3

Instead of

0 - 2

1 - 3

2 - 1

Additionally, it would be great if I could have this as a measure? So that I am able to drill down to minutes if I would like.

Thanks!

@Anonymous -

Just saw that you wanted DAX solution. Power Query Solution below.

Just need to add the equationcriteria, info found @ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/table-distinct.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlDSUXIEYicgjlCK1UGIOANxJIoISE0UWMQQyHIBYle4LpCIGxC7w3WBRDyA2BOuywjI8gJib7guZJFIDBGgrlgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Hour = _t, Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, #"Extra Column" = _t]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Hour"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(Table.Distinct(_,{"Column1","Column2"})), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisMendoza 

Thank you so much for you help! This is close.

Ultimately what I'd like to do is to is to have a stacked area chart, showing hours on the x axis and counts on the y axis. I would like to have the legend broken down by unique pairings. So ultimately I would see of the unique pairing count, what is the ratio of each combination.

I think the solution you give loses this granularity. Is there a way to connect this data to the original table? Or how would you recommend doing this?

Hope this makes sense!

@Anonymous-

Maybe I don't understand what you're going for. Is this visual not what you're attempting?

1.PNG

This uses the Power Query table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisMendozaI reposted the quetsion here with some modificaitons: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unique-Counts-by-Hour/td-p/825212

I'll go ahead and accept your solution on this one!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.