Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

safi
Frequent Visitor

Count or Switch or IF Statement, confused and need guidance

Hi guys, 

I have the following calculated columns where based on the inventory levels, a recommendation is returned, 'Yes - Buy Review' or 'No - surplus available' now I want to establish a new measure or column, that simply caculates the total count of 'Yes Buy Review' for instance in the snapshot attached below, the first row has only 1 buy review for the 24 month segment, and the others are now,  the desired output based on this scenario will be 1. as in a horizontal count of buy reviews, but I am completely stumped as to how i go about, the only idea that comes to mind is to create another column with an if statement, that returns a  value of 1 in the case of 'Yes - Buy Review' or 0 in the case of 'No - surplus available' and then creating a 4th column that does a sum on aforemention columns to return a value.  Surely there must be a more efficient way of doing this. 

Any helpf here would be amazing! 

safi_0-1610090641058.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@safi , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

You can try like

if([buy_review_Status_24] ="Yes - Buy Review",1,0) + if([buy_review_Status_3] ="Yes - Buy Review",1,0) + if([buy_review_Status+6] ="Yes - Buy Review",1,0)

or use switch true for multiple condition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gelJWktlR80

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@safi , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

You can try like

if([buy_review_Status_24] ="Yes - Buy Review",1,0) + if([buy_review_Status_3] ="Yes - Buy Review",1,0) + if([buy_review_Status+6] ="Yes - Buy Review",1,0)

or use switch true for multiple condition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gelJWktlR80

@amitchandak  thank you so much for your reply and I am happy to report the if statement solution you provided is working like a charm! thank you so much. 

I just had a follow-up question based on best practices, do you recommend I create that as a measure or calculated column? what would be pros and cons going one way or the other? 

thank you so very much, I didnt know one could sum multiple IF statements, I bow to thee.

Calculated column add to the data, and increase load time. It will added as column in table. While measure is definition. Will exectued run time.

I refer this blog for more details - https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.