Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count of a column based on another filtered column.

I tried to search but couldn't find an apt solution here so i'm posting. I assume there must be a simple solution to this problem and my solution to the problem is having optimisation issues. This is kind of the famous Manager- Employee self join problem.

In Agile environment we have Portfolios with Initiatives associated to them. Some initiatives have Planviews associated with them. What i need is the count of Portfolios that are associated with Initiatives with a PlanviewID.

Please find the pic below for example:

image.png

Here we have initiatives I1, I3, I4 with Planviews. We need the count of Portfolio (column 1) which have Initiatives I1, I3, I4 (column 4). 

Here 4 portfolios that are associated to I2 and I5 but those initiatives dont have a planiewID so our final count is 6.

Note : This is just an excerpt and Portfolios can be repetitive based on some other items.

I created one calculated table

=CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Agile[portfolio_id]),FILTER(Agile, Agile[Type] = "Initiative" && Agile[planview] <> BLANK()))

I got all the initiatives with Planview IDs. All i need now is occurances of these initiatives for distinct Portfolios.

P.S. - If its been solved here before kindly direct me to the page.

3 REPLIES 3
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Please try this as a new Measure.

Test31 = 
VAR _ValidInit = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(Test31[Portfolio],FILTER(Test31,Test31[Planview]<>BLANK()))
VAR _Filter = FILTER(Test31,Test31[Initiative] IN _ValidInit)
RETURN COUNTROWS(_Filter)

image.png

Note - It will be great and helpful if you can post the sample data in copiable format.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since Portfolio's aren't repeated you could just add PlanView as a Card and change the Calculation to a Count from the "Fields" section. Then edit the Format, Disable the Category Label. Enable the Title. Then call it Count of Portfolio

Or create a measure like below and use that for the Card

Count of Portfolio = COUNT(Table2[PlanView])

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Unfortunately this was just an excerpt and the Portfolio IDs can be repetitive based on some other items available. However Distinctcount won't give the right count with your DAX since it gives the output like :

(Portfolios with Initiatives) with PlanviewID

instead of 

Portfolio with (Initiatives with PlanviewID)

They both give different count.

I created one calculated table

=CALCULATETABLE(VALUES(Agile[portfolio_id]),FILTER(Agile, Agile[Type] = "Initiative" && Agile[plan_view_id] <> BLANK()))

I got all the initiatives with Planview IDs. All i need now is occurances of these initiatives for distinct Portfolios.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.