Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Count of New Customers and Count of "13 months" for "Current Year - Quickbooks data

I am beginning to view these as challenges rather than "problems" with reporting. 🙂 

So here's a challenge for today:

I have a list of

• New Customers (All customers who are a year or less old)
  • Customers 13+ Months Old

Goal of the report - to determine the count of new customers for CURRENT Year AND count of customers who reach the 13+ Status for the CURRENT year. In essence it's a ratio of New to 13+. But I havent quite figured out how to do ratios in Power BI.

Challenge Area- because both of these categories are date based - when I try to add date filters (year, month, week) - it throws the count off. 

Here are some screen shots: 

NewNew13+13+Count / Ratio AttemptCount / Ratio Attempt

Here are the formulas used to create the Age of the customer and determine their status / type

New Customers (based of Account Time created)

Age of Customer (in Months) = DATEDIFF(Customer[CustomerTimeCreated], TODAY(), MONTH)  

#determines age of customer based on CustomerTimeCreated field

New / Old = IF([Age of Customer (in Months)] <= 12, "NEW", "OLD")

#Determined by customer age (in months in this case)

13+ Month Customers (time is based off of LAST Transaction Activity from Customer)

Summary Table = SUMMARIZE('SALES DETAILS', 'SALES DETAILS'[LinkToCustomerID], "Last Transaction", MAX('SALES DETAILS'[SalesTxnTimeCreated]))

#Determines last transaction for each customer
Transaction Age = DATEDIFF('Summary Table'[Last Transaction], TODAY(), DAY)

#Determines age of Last Transaction (in days)
Customer Status = 
IF('Summary Table'[Transaction Age] <= 329, "Active",
	IF('Summary Table'[Transaction Age] = 330, "11-Month Customer",
		IF('Summary Table'[Transaction Age] >= 331 && 'Summary Table'[Transaction Age] <= 389, "Inactive",
		IF('Summary Table'[Transaction Age] = 390, "13-Month Customer",
			IF('Summary Table'[Transaction Age] >= 391 && 'Summary Table'[Transaction Age] <= 720, "13+ - Month Customer")))))

#Creates category for each age "bucket" for transaction age - ultimately determining customer status (i.e. active, inactive, etc...)

EDIT: To make sure I've explained this correctly

I HAVE determined a way to select ONLY the NEW customers created within the CURRENT year -

Current Year Customers (Age in days) = IF(Year(Customer[CustomerTimeCreated])=YEAR(TODAY()), (DATEDIFF(Customer[CustomerTimeCreated],TODAY(), DAY)), 0)

#Determines new customers for Current YEAR 

But I have NOT figured out how to determine the customers that have hit the 13+ month mark WITHIN the CURRENT year yet. And then be able to filter by week, month and current year total. 

~heathernicoale
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

I don't know the exact syntax on this, but I think I may be able to help you.  I was thinking that if you have the Account Created date, you can figure out the Date of the Account entering the 13+ Month group.  For example, you could take the Account Created date and add 365 days.  So for an account created on 1/1/2015, they would enter the 13+Month group on 1/2/2016.  Now, you can take that date, and check to see if it is in the Current Year.  To possibly simplify things, you could probably compare the Year of 13+Month group entry against the Year of Today(), or something similar.  

That will givbe you a value to filter on, at the least.

Hope this helps,

Nate

View solution in original post

@heathernicole Very long explanation - hopefully I understood what you are trying to do... Smiley Happy

Create this column in the Summary table - then you'll just need a count of this column

13 Mo Customer in CY Column =
IF (
    'Summary Table'[Last Transaction]
        >= ( DATE ( YEAR ( NOW () ), 1, 1 ) - 391 )
        && 'Summary Table'[Last Transaction]
            <= ( TODAY () - 391 ),
    "13 Mo Customer in CY",
    "Nope"
)

I'm obviously using 391 because this is what you are using as well!

Let me know... fingers crossed Smiley Happy

You have a loop, and it is from Sales Details, to Trans Calendar, to Customer and then back to Sales dtails.  You have to eliminate that.  I really think you can eliminate the link between Customer and the Calendar.

@heathernicole check this out... this should help you fix it maybe Smiley Happy

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/multiple-relationships-between-tables-in-dax/

So you can use the USERELATIONSHIP function for one of the calculations

No need to start all over Smiley Happy

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Sean @Nhallquist - Well...

I got it to work somehow... it's amazing what shutting down and getting back on will do. 🙂 Even if it's for a short period...

So here's what I've ended up with: 

13 Month - 
13 month correct.JPG

New Customers -

New Customer Chart Correct.JPG

The only thing that may be a little confusing to the end - user is in order to filter correctly - New Customers is filtered by Current Year and 13 month Customers are filtered by Previous Year. 

Any thoughts / advice on how to make this report a little more user-friendly. Ideally I could have both sets of information on the same for comparison purposes. But with that funky filter - that will be a little difficult. 

THANKS SO MUCH for sticking through this with me! 🙂 

~heathernicoale

39 REPLIES 39

@Nhallquist - was headed in the same direction as you - although more by accident than anything else. 

So the 13 month customer chart works well: 

13 month correct.JPG

However this is what the New Customer chart is doing - it's not filtering appropriately

incorrect new customer chart.JPG

~heathernicoale

You are looking to chart the % of the Grand Total?  Can you post a pic of the chart fields that are being used?  I think the % of GT is not set correctly.

@Nhallquist - no 🙂 - I was playing around with the new feature for a moment. I just want to display New Customers and 13 month customers for the year in a chart for comparison. That's ultimately the only goal at this point for this report - and allow them to see the breakdown per month; per week. 

See they have the same result - I just for got to undo the GT

without GT.JPG

~heathernicoale

You'll have to forgive me, I'm a little slow today....

So you are looking to graph the number of new accounts by the accoutn created date.  In this case, you can just use the date created, and let PBI create the heirchy for you.  

You can have a single calendar manage this for you, but then you'll need to unlink Customers from Sales Details, otherwise you'll have a loop again.  I assume that you really need that link though.

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Sean - they just switched.. 🙂 

incorrect 13 month customer chart 2.JPG

new customer chart 2.JPG

schema 3.JPG

~heathernicoale

@Nhallquist @Sean -

Yes, you're right. 

The orginial Data Model didn't have this problem. I've decided to start over for this one. So I'm starting with a "fresh" data model. See if I can pinpoint what messes up that relationship; because it's there originally. 

~heathernicoale

@heathernicole So it didn't work?

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Sean 

No - first the 13 month chart was working properly - and the New Customer wasn't - when I made that last change - the 13 month became incorrect and then the New Customer was correct. 

I'm not sure what it's issue is. 🙂 

~heathernicoale

@heathernicole check this out... this should help you fix it maybe Smiley Happy

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/multiple-relationships-between-tables-in-dax/

So you can use the USERELATIONSHIP function for one of the calculations

No need to start all over Smiley Happy

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Sean @Nhallquist - Well...

I got it to work somehow... it's amazing what shutting down and getting back on will do. 🙂 Even if it's for a short period...

So here's what I've ended up with: 

13 Month - 
13 month correct.JPG

New Customers -

New Customer Chart Correct.JPG

The only thing that may be a little confusing to the end - user is in order to filter correctly - New Customers is filtered by Current Year and 13 month Customers are filtered by Previous Year. 

Any thoughts / advice on how to make this report a little more user-friendly. Ideally I could have both sets of information on the same for comparison purposes. But with that funky filter - that will be a little difficult. 

THANKS SO MUCH for sticking through this with me! 🙂 

~heathernicoale

When going through a design iteration, I think about how an enduser might see this.  I try to group things that belong together, as closeley as I can.  I also try and split the page with New Customers on half, Current on the other half and tuck the slicers in as close to the charts, on the the left side, as tight as you can.  

with that said, it would be ideal to post a copy of the app for us to design, or at least a screen shot.  in this screen pic I have, see how the creater segmented the two "categories" of info for the users?  Think of something like this.

dashboard 2.jpg

Here is the final - at least for now - as I get these date filters figured out a little better - I'll update it. 🙂 

THANKS SO MUCH! @Nhallquist @Sean

Final Comparison Report.png

~heathernicoale

As you work through your design, be sure to seek inspiration from outside sources.  Check out this link to download some templates that you can use for inspiration or to scavenge objects and ideas from.  

Looking good so far.....

Nate

@Nhallquist  - Hello! 🙂 I know this is a little late - but you can specify left joins, right joins, inner, etc ...  you do that when you do Merge Queries in the Query Mode in the back. 🙂 

Was doing a merge and saw the selection. I had forgotten about it. Thanks!

~heathernicoale

This is a link to a website that does a good job of walking you through the joins and what each join does.  I like to use different join options becuase they not only can help you get data, but they can help cut down the overall size of your data model. 

The challenge is trying to link the sales Detail, Customer, and Trans Calendar all together.  You get a loop, and PBI doesn't like that.  You could use 2 calendars.  You could also use one calendar and just use the Customer Created Date out of the Customer table, without linking it to the Trans Calendar.  

If you create your data model by linking the Sales Details to the customers, and the Sales Details to the Calendar, you'll get the one chart that works great already.  Then you can create another chart on when the new Customers were created.  Then, if you click on a month, you should get all the sales, from new customers that were created in that month, showing you how new Customers preform from that month.

Good luck, let me know if you need any further help. 

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Sean - they just switched.. 🙂 

incorrect 13 month customer chart 2.JPG

new customer chart 2.JPG

schema 3.JPG

~heathernicoale

Can you clean up your data model by removing the inactive joins and post another picture?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.