Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

Count of Months with X Business Days

Good morning,

I am struggling on counting the months that have X amount of business days.  Most months have approximately 19-23 business days.  I need a measure that can count how many months, in my calendar table, have 22 business days.  I have a boolean ID for "Business Days" & a standard calendar table with all the related bells & whistles.  Just can't figure out this calculation.

For example, for 2017, January & May both had 22 business days.  I want a measure that would return, "2" for 2 months with 22 business days.  

My live attempts are way off, so I don't think posting my incorrect DAX measures would be helpful.  Is this enough information?

Thank you,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

.... there's probably a better way of doing this, but here's one option:

I've added this Calculated Column to the Date Table:  (This creates lots of duplciates we will clean up in the next step.)  You'll probably COUNTA your binary column?

WorkDays_Per_Month = CALCULATE(COUNT(DimDate[Date]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED(DimDate), DimDate[Year] = EARLIER(DimDate[Year]) && DimDate[Month] = EARLIER(DimDate[Month]) && WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) >=2 && WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) <= 6))

Next we need a Month Table.  You can use Excel to quickly paste the first of each month, or here's a Query to calculate the first and last day of each month 100 months backward and forward.

let
Source = Table.FromList({-100..100}, each{_}),
AddedStartOfMonth = Table.AddColumn(Source, "StartOfMonth", each Date.StartOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),[Column1])), type date),
AddedEndOfMonth = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfMonth, "EndOfMonth", each Date.EndOfMonth([StartOfMonth]), type date),
RemovedColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedEndOfMonth,{"Column1"})
in
RemovedColumn

I've created a 1:1 Relatoinship between the Start of each month and the Date Table.  This Calculated Column now on the Month table brings over the number of workdays per month (only 1 value per month, unlike the multiple values on the date table).

First_Of_Month_Only = RELATED(DimDate[WorkDays_Per_Month])

Lastly, I created a custom Table with just the values '18,19,20,21,22,23,24'

I added another realtionship between these numbers and the First_Of_Month_Only column as a 1:Many.  Now I can COUNT FirstOfMonthOnly as a coulmn.  (I"m sure there's a betterw way to do this with more complicated DAX...?  If you are looking for Measures, maybe just COUNT the number of times "20" happends via a Filter and you have a different Measure for 20,21,22,23 that you can stack together as values in a graph?)

Capture.PNG

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

... What about national holidays?  Are you going to try to exclude these as well?

Thank You!

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Here's a count of all Mondays-Fridays per month:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(DimDate[Date]), FILTER( DimDate , WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) >=2 && WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) <= 6))

Capture.PNG

Thank You!

@fhill

Thank you for the quick response.  The formula is good.  It provides the number of working days per month.  I am seeking the number of months with X amount of business days.  So the results you provided, Can a measure calculate how many months were 21 working days, or 20 working days, etc??

Thank you & kindly,

James

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

.... there's probably a better way of doing this, but here's one option:

I've added this Calculated Column to the Date Table:  (This creates lots of duplciates we will clean up in the next step.)  You'll probably COUNTA your binary column?

WorkDays_Per_Month = CALCULATE(COUNT(DimDate[Date]), FILTER(ALLSELECTED(DimDate), DimDate[Year] = EARLIER(DimDate[Year]) && DimDate[Month] = EARLIER(DimDate[Month]) && WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) >=2 && WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) <= 6))

Next we need a Month Table.  You can use Excel to quickly paste the first of each month, or here's a Query to calculate the first and last day of each month 100 months backward and forward.

let
Source = Table.FromList({-100..100}, each{_}),
AddedStartOfMonth = Table.AddColumn(Source, "StartOfMonth", each Date.StartOfMonth(Date.AddMonths(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),[Column1])), type date),
AddedEndOfMonth = Table.AddColumn(AddedStartOfMonth, "EndOfMonth", each Date.EndOfMonth([StartOfMonth]), type date),
RemovedColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedEndOfMonth,{"Column1"})
in
RemovedColumn

I've created a 1:1 Relatoinship between the Start of each month and the Date Table.  This Calculated Column now on the Month table brings over the number of workdays per month (only 1 value per month, unlike the multiple values on the date table).

First_Of_Month_Only = RELATED(DimDate[WorkDays_Per_Month])

Lastly, I created a custom Table with just the values '18,19,20,21,22,23,24'

I added another realtionship between these numbers and the First_Of_Month_Only column as a 1:Many.  Now I can COUNT FirstOfMonthOnly as a coulmn.  (I"m sure there's a betterw way to do this with more complicated DAX...?  If you are looking for Measures, maybe just COUNT the number of times "20" happends via a Filter and you have a different Measure for 20,21,22,23 that you can stack together as values in a graph?)

Capture.PNG

Thank You!

@fhill

Thank you very much for the detailed response.  I didn't realize I asked such a technical question, so I appreciate the solid feedback.  I'm studying your response this afternoon.

Thanks.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

OK, I'm making some assumptions here. First, assuming your date table has an explicit Month column, which it should anyway. Second, assuming both the weekday filter @fhill used is necessary in addition to the Working Days column you mentioned. SoI guess I'm assuming that Working Days is true for every day that isn't a holiday, and that we're using the weekday number to filter out weekends.

Measure = COUNTROWS(
	FILTER(
		ADDCOLUMNS(
			VALUES(DimDate[Month]),
			"DayCount", CALCULATE(
				COUNT(DimDate[Date]),
				FILTER(
					DimDate,
					WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) >=2 && 
					WEEKDAY(DimDate[Date]) <= 6 &&
					DimDate[Working Days] = TRUE
				)
			)
		),
		[DayCount] >= 20
	)
)

Also assuming the number of days we care about is 20. If you want to be able to input an arbitrary number of working days...we can talk about that.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Does your date table have a Month column?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I already have a holiday table that is incorporated into the master calendar table.  So the boolean column of "Working Days" accounts for that.  I just can't create a measure that calculates number of months with X amount of working days.  😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.