Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Caitlin_Knox
Advocate III
Advocate III

Count of ID compared to Average

I am trying to solve what seems like a simple calculation but can't quite figure it out. I've successfully modeled out what I'd like in Excel. Essentially, I want a table that shows the Sales Support person's name, the count of ID's, and then the total average of ID's, with a fourth column that shows the difference between the average and their count.

2017-07-21_11-02-53.png

13 REPLIES 13
Hasan
Resolver I
Resolver I

Adding Column.PNGHI,

1-create a new colunn and use this formula Average=Average(m_Count)

2-create another columb and use this formula Differerence=m_count-Average

There is not column like Column2 in your example.

The column that I'm counting is the ID field. So I'm counting how many ID's they have assigned to them, which shows as a sum in the table visualization. I think the solution would be something with a CALCULATE that would filter on the Assigned Support Person's name, but that's where I'm struggling. The actual ID is a 4 digit number, so each time I try and use the AVERAGE function, its giving me the average of that number, instead of the Count. And, I can't do the Average of the count- since AVERAGE requires a column reference.

In Excel, I just had to reference the count column that had the sum of id's. I just don't know how to reproduce this action in DAX

I got it. How about using grouping options in query editor mode so you can have count of IDs as new column.

I've never used this technique before. Where do I begin?

I can work on it if can share the sampe row data fro me or you can check out his link

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-common-query-tasks/#group-rows

Thanks for your reply, I got as far as copying the query, then grouping to get the totals. How do I keep the ID field as a separate column so I can create the necessary relationships since this is a separate table now?2017-07-21_12-49-31.png

Can you group by ID so it will be easy build the relationship?

I was able to relate it to my Data table, but in order to look at it by month, I need to also relate it to my Date table which is not possible becasue once I group by the Name it removes the datekey column in the orgiinal query

Hi @Caitlin_Knox,

Maybe you could try this formula.

Average =
AVERAGEX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Quotes Odata',
        'Quotes Odata'[AssignedSupportPerson.Name],
        "m_count", COUNT ( 'Quotes Odata'[ID] )
    ),
    [m_count]
)

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have tried that logic of formula, as I found in this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Average-count-per-month-per-id/m-p/212988#M94068

However, I'm still not achieving the desired result. Maybe something else, other than the formula is inaccurate.

I'm adding the Average formula as a measure. I then created a Difference measure that subtracts the count from the average. This is the column I want to rank on- to simply see how far away a person is from the average. I hope you can see in the screen shot, the issues with the data.

In my head, I feel like the Average column should actually be the same for each person- I don't understand how ths is different for each person. The difference would be the number that is different.  When a date designation is made, the average numbershould change.

2017-07-24_7-08-37.png

Hi @Caitlin_Knox,

Yeah, maybe you could try this. Could you please post a sample in the text mode?

Average =
CALCULATE (
    AVERAGEX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            'Quotes Odata',
            'Quotes Odata'[AssignedSupportPerson.Name],
            "m_count", COUNT ( 'Quotes Odata'[ID] )
        ),
        [m_count]
    ),
    ALL ( 'quotes odata' )
)

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

no, becasue that just makes the count of each ID 1

m_Count is a measure that Coutns the ID's. Its not letting me reference that in the new column.

m_Count = DISTINCTCOUNT('Quotes Odata'[Id])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.