Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count of Errors which don't exist in current period but existed in last period

Data: I have 1 table with item column which list records with errors, and another which has the violation date.

Error Log

Violation Id     DimViolationDate

126/06/2018 
216/06/2018 
316/06/2018 
116/06/2018

Requirement: I want to find out number of errors which have been fixed since last time period(i.e from 16/06/2018 to 26/06/2018). In this case it would 2 as they show up in past period(16/06/2018) but not in current period(26/06/2018).

In the above case the result would be 2 because Violation IDs 2 & 3 show up in past period(16/06/2018) but not in current period(26/06/2018)

Steps I took: 

1) Created a calculated table with data from current & last period

Current&PastItems = 
VAR CurrentPeriod = CALCULATE(MAX(FactName[DimViolationDate]),FILTER(FactName,FactName[DimViolationDate]=MAX(FactName[DimViolationDate])))
VAR LastPeriod = CALCULATE(MAX(FactName[DimViolationDate]),FILTER(FactName,FactName[DimViolationDate]<>MAX(FactName[DimViolationDate])))
RETURN FILTER(ALL(FactName[Violation Id],FactName[DimViolationDate]),OR(FactName[DimViolationDate]=LastPeriod,FactName[DimViolationDate]=CurrentPeriod))

2) Calculated a field saying if it exists in last period & another if it exists in current period

Exists in Current Period = 
VAR CurrentPeriod = CALCULATE(MAX('Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDateKey]),FILTER('Current&PastItems','Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDateKey]=MAX('Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDateKey])))
VAR OccuranceInPeriod = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Current&PastItems'[Violation Id]),('Current&PastItems'[Violation Id]<>BLANK()),

FILTER('Current&PastItems','Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDateKey] = CurrentPeriod))+0
RETURN IF(OccuranceInPeriod>=1,"Yes","No")
Exists in Last Period = 
VAR LastPeriod = CALCULATE(MAX('Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDate]),FILTER('Current&PastItems','Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDate]<>MAX('Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDate])))
VAR OccuranceInPeriod = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Current&PastItems'[Violation Id]),('Current&PastItems'[Violation Id]<>BLANK()),ALLEXCEPT('Current&PastItems','Current&PastItems'[Violation Id]),
FILTER('Current&PastItems','Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDate] = LastPeriod))+0
RETURN IF(OccuranceInPeriod>=1,"Yes","No")

3) Count items which have a yes for last period and no for current period & number of occurances = 1

Number of Occurances = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Current&PastItems'[DimViolationDateKey]),ALLEXCEPT('Current&PastItems','Current&PastItems'[Violation Id]))
Number of Fixed Violations = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Current&PastItems'[Violation Id]),FILTER('Current&PastItems','Current&PastItems'[Exists in Last Period]="Yes" && 'Current&PastItems'[Exists in Current Period]="No" && [Number of Occurances]=1) ) + 0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Create calculated columns

cuurrent = MAX([DimViolationDate])

maxdate of each id = CALCULATE(MAX([DimViolationDate]),ALLEXCEPT(FactName,FactName[Violation Id]))

fixed untill current = IF([cuurrent]=[maxdate of each id],1,0)

fixed previous = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FactName[Violation Id]),FILTER(ALL(FactName),[fixed untill current]=0))

1.png

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Create calculated columns

cuurrent = MAX([DimViolationDate])

maxdate of each id = CALCULATE(MAX([DimViolationDate]),ALLEXCEPT(FactName,FactName[Violation Id]))

fixed untill current = IF([cuurrent]=[maxdate of each id],1,0)

fixed previous = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(FactName[Violation Id]),FILTER(ALL(FactName),[fixed untill current]=0))

1.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

Could you please explain what "fixed previous" calculation does?

Hi @Anonymous

If current date is 2018/6/26, there are two errors were fixed before 2018/6/26, (2->2018/6/16, 3->2018/6/16)

the error 1 is fixed at 2018/1/16, then this error happened again and is finally fixed in 2018/1/26.

Thus, "fixed previous"  means:

Count of Errors which don't exist in current period but existed in last period

Best Regards

Maggie

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Thank you for such detailed steps you applied.

However, it is difficult for me to understand your dataset.

As your requirement said, from the "Error Log", I can't find anything about "ast time period","current period" and detemine which show up in past period but not in current period.

I would like to suggest you give an example of your tables(maybe not the real data, just can explain your scenario), relationships between these tables and expected result.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft I have updated the information to provide the required details.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Please look at the article about How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft I appreciate the link, but not sure why you are referring me to that link? Is there something I messed up while posting my query. I seem to have followed everything from that link.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.