Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karun_r
Employee
Employee

Count number of records of in different columns after grouping the data in a single column

I have a table like below:

ColumnA  -- ColumnB -- Column3 -- Column4

123              DEV             SRE               DBA

123              MGR            SRE               NSE

112              DEV             PMO             NSE

112              DEV             PMO             NSE

Here ColumnA is the master column on which I want to perform the aggregated calculations. I want a result something like this:

A           DEV      MGR     SRE       PMO         NSE         DBA

123         1            1          2            0               1              1

112         2            0          0            2               2               0

I tried to calculate the SUM of DEV using the below formula

DEV = 

CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'TableName' ), 'TableName'[ColumnB] = "DEV", 'TableName'[ColumnA] ='TableName'[ColumnA] )

But whenever I attempt the same for other values like MGR, SRE etc I face a circulare dependecy warning even though I am not using the DEV column for calculating the values

Here is the example for counting my MGR count

DEV = 

CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'TableName' ), 'TableName'[ColumnB] = "MGR", 'TableName'[ColumnA] ='TableName'[ColumnA] )

Is there any better approach for this ? I am newbie in PowerBI. Started using it just today. So any pointers would be very helpful.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I would unpivot the data into something like:

ColumnA | Position    | Role

------------------------------
    123      |  ColumnB | DEV

123      | Column3  | SRE

To make the analysis dynamic you could create one measure - simple count of rows, and then use a Matrix visual - put ColumnA on the rows, column Role on columns and created measure on the values. That would work even if a particular "role" (DEV, DBA, etc.) can repeat in multiple columns in the original table.

--

But if you just need to perform a quick analysis on the data as it is, and the assumption can be done that a "role" (DEV, DBA, etc.) can show up in just one column, then you can easily create all necessary measures using Quick Measures feature. Example of how DEV measure could be configured with Filtered value calculation:

DEV measureDEV measure

Then you can follow the above pattern for all other roles.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pawel

View solution in original post

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @karun_r,

You can unpivot table in Query Editor.

1.PNG

Alternatively, you can get the unpivot table structure via creating a calculated table.

Table1_1 =
UNION (
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Column1", Table1[ColumnA], "Column2", Table1[ColumnB] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Column1", Table1[ColumnA], "Column2", Table1[Column3] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Column1", Table1[ColumnA], "Column2", Table1[Column4] )
)

Based on the new table, you could use a matrix to display data, as adviced by pawelpo.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @karun_r,

You can unpivot table in Query Editor.

1.PNG

Alternatively, you can get the unpivot table structure via creating a calculated table.

Table1_1 =
UNION (
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Column1", Table1[ColumnA], "Column2", Table1[ColumnB] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Column1", Table1[ColumnA], "Column2", Table1[Column3] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Column1", Table1[ColumnA], "Column2", Table1[Column4] )
)

Based on the new table, you could use a matrix to display data, as adviced by pawelpo.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I would unpivot the data into something like:

ColumnA | Position    | Role

------------------------------
    123      |  ColumnB | DEV

123      | Column3  | SRE

To make the analysis dynamic you could create one measure - simple count of rows, and then use a Matrix visual - put ColumnA on the rows, column Role on columns and created measure on the values. That would work even if a particular "role" (DEV, DBA, etc.) can repeat in multiple columns in the original table.

--

But if you just need to perform a quick analysis on the data as it is, and the assumption can be done that a "role" (DEV, DBA, etc.) can show up in just one column, then you can easily create all necessary measures using Quick Measures feature. Example of how DEV measure could be configured with Filtered value calculation:

DEV measureDEV measure

Then you can follow the above pattern for all other roles.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pawel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors