Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count (measure) is not providing correct total

Hello, 

I have created a simple measure (DISTINCTCOUNT) and used in both in card and table but getting wrong totals:

Jess90_0-1606948983932.png

Total should be 2,278 not 1947. Could you pls provide any idea? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

I assume that DISTINCTCOUNT returns the correct result, unfortunately the result does not meet your expectation.

I'm not sure what table[column] you are using inside the DISTINCTCOUNT function.

Assuming that you are using products as row headers and DISTINCTCOUNTing customers who bought the product. It will be likely that a customer has bought more than one product.

In the total line there is no implicit product filter, nevertheless, a customer who just bought more than one product will be counted only once, as this is the nature of the DISTINCTCOUNT function.

If you want to overcome this you can use this measure instead (be aware that the result on the total line is not a DISTINCTCOUNT)

measure = 
SUMX(
VALUES('tablename'[columnname]) //used as rowheader
, CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( 'tablename'[columnname] ) ) //the column you want to DISTINCTCOUNT
)

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

I assume that DISTINCTCOUNT returns the correct result, unfortunately the result does not meet your expectation.

I'm not sure what table[column] you are using inside the DISTINCTCOUNT function.

Assuming that you are using products as row headers and DISTINCTCOUNTing customers who bought the product. It will be likely that a customer has bought more than one product.

In the total line there is no implicit product filter, nevertheless, a customer who just bought more than one product will be counted only once, as this is the nature of the DISTINCTCOUNT function.

If you want to overcome this you can use this measure instead (be aware that the result on the total line is not a DISTINCTCOUNT)

measure = 
SUMX(
VALUES('tablename'[columnname]) //used as rowheader
, CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( 'tablename'[columnname] ) ) //the column you want to DISTINCTCOUNT
)

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @TomMartens , that was a quick fix.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.