Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count inconsistency in graphic - Clarified Question

This is a reboot of the question at Re: Count inconsistency in graphic - Microsoft Power BI Community.

The dummy database I gave in my first post wasn’t constructed properly to replicate my problem. The new dummy database is still recording a collection of paintings and the colors found in each. Additionally, it catalogues elements found in the image. There are still 4 tables.

Table 1:

PaintingID

PaintingName

Painting 1

Painting 2

Painting 3

Painting 4

Painting 5

Table 2: (this table links together paintings and colors in the painting)

PaintingID

ComponentID

Table 3: Note that SubelementID type 3 and 4 are not used in the example data – they are just there to describe the DB structure

SubelementID

ComponentID

ComponentName

CoolColors

Blue

Green

Purple

WarmColors

Red

Orange

Nature

Mountain 

Tree

Manmade

House

Fence

Table 4:

SubelementID

Element Type

CategoryName

Cool Colors

Warm Colors

Nature

Manmade

Relationships:

Table1_Painting ID 1: *Table2_PaintingID

Table2_ComponentID *:1 Table3_ComponentID

Table3_SubelementID *:1 Table4_SubelementID

The problem:

I have two figures.

One is working as I would like. It is a doughnut chart with Legend: T3.ComponentName and Values: count of T1.PaintingName

With it I can see the most prevalent Component used in the painting collection.

The purpose of the second figure that I am having an issue with is to see which category is more prevalent. I created a bar chart with Axis: T4.CategoryName, Legend: T3.ComponentName, and Value Count of T1.PaintingName.

The charts I am trying to construct look like this:

snippet2.png

The problem is that the program is counting T3.ComponentName and T4.CategoryName differently.

Taking the example of CategoryName = Cool Colors, the chart is trying to display this:

Count of Blue

Count of Green

Count of Purple

Count of Cool Colors (T3.ComponentName)

Count of Cool Colors (T4.CategoryName)

I would like count of Cool Colors (category) to be 8.

How can I fix this? I do not see a way to ask the program to not do a distinct count on CategoryName. Or if there if another display format/chart that would accomplish what I am trying to view better, that sounds good too.

The desired effect is to be able to select the Category label on the bar chart and have the doughnut and card react to get the number of paintings in the category but also reflect the subelement ...

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

If you want to use a table to display:

1. Create measure.

count of blue =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Blue"))
return
COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Table (2)'),'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_1),'Table (2)'[ComponentID])
count of green =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="green"))
return
COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Table (2)'),'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_1),'Table (2)'[ComponentID])
count of purple =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Purple"))
return
count of coolcolors_T3 =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="CoolColors"))
return
count of coolcolors_T4 =
var _coolcolors=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="CoolColors"))
var _blue=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Blue"))
var _green=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Green"))
var _purple=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Purple"))
return
COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Table (2)'),'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_coolcolors||'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_blue||'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_green||'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_purple),'Table (2)'[ComponentID])

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_0-1610096010982.png

If you want to use stacked bar chart and donut chart to display:

1.Select stacked bar chart, use the filters next to it to filter the CategoryName, select only cool colors and waarm colors, and open the data labels option in visualizations

2021.1.8.1.png

2. Select donut chart, select componentname in filters, and select the required fields

20201.1.8.2.png

3. Result.

2021.1.8.3.png

You can downloaded PBIX file from here.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Here are the steps you can follow:

If you want to use a table to display:

1. Create measure.

count of blue =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Blue"))
return
count of green =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="green"))
return
count of purple =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Purple"))
return
count of coolcolors_T3 =
var _1=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="CoolColors"))
return
count of coolcolors_T4 =
var _coolcolors=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="CoolColors"))
var _blue=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Blue"))
var _green=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Green"))
var _purple=CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[ComponentID]),FILTER(ALL('Table (3)'),'Table (3)'[ComponentName]="Purple"))
return
COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Table (2)'),'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_coolcolors||'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_blue||'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_green||'Table (2)'[ComponentID]=_purple),'Table (2)'[ComponentID])

2. Result:

v-yangliu-msft_0-1610096010982.png

If you want to use stacked bar chart and donut chart to display:

1.Select stacked bar chart, use the filters next to it to filter the CategoryName, select only cool colors and waarm colors, and open the data labels option in visualizations

2021.1.8.1.png

2. Select donut chart, select componentname in filters, and select the required fields

20201.1.8.2.png

3. Result.

2021.1.8.3.png

You can downloaded PBIX file from here.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.