Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hector3315
Frequent Visitor

Count in two related tables

Hi I'm new here and I don't know if this is the place to this issue. If not let me know it and i will change it from here.

The fact is that I have 2 related tables. In one i have an id and in the other the reference of that id.

They are similar to these 2 (I can't show the real ones because of privacity issues. I hope these 2 will be ok to explain myself):

Captura.PNG

I need to add a column to table1 with the count of the number of tasks that each id has.

I have the following dax fórmula but it returns the count of all the tasks of the table 2 at each row of table 1. That is for this example 4 in all the rows of the new column in table 1. And I want the values 3,1...

totalTareas = COUNTAX(FILTER(table2;RELATED(table1[ID]) = table2[Id_del_proceso]);table2[TASK])

where id_del_proceso is table1_id in this example

I'm new with dax functions and I don't know how to solve it, neither why I obtain that result, but this in sql would be something like a join between the 2 tables and a count of the task grouped by the table1_id.

Please clould you explain me what I'm doing wrong and how could i solve this ?

Thanks for the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hector3315,

If you drag a Matrix visual to your canvas, with ID in Rows, and the measure totalTAreas in Values, I think it will give you the result you need.

Or you can add a column as described by @Baskar, though I can't see from your requirements why it must be a column.

Note that columns can't be used is some situations (e.g. axis on a scatter plot), measures are generally more efficient, but measures can't be used as slicers.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool,

I suggest two ways.

1. Create calculated column on Table 1

Column =Calculate( COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE('Table 2')))

2. Create measure .

for that u have to create relationship between these two tables . then create measure 

Measure = countA('Table 2' Table_ID)

let me  know if any help

Thanks for answer me but that is not what i'm looking for. I don't want a measure. I need to know the count of taskt that each id has. And i want that as a column to print each one in each row.

With your first advice i get the count of all. the same that with my first formula.

What i didn't know is that CALCULATE exists i think that is what i need i will try it and i will say if i get something.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hector3315,

Since you have related the two tables, the following measure (not column) should do what you need:

totalTareas = COUNT( table2[TASK] )

For some guidance on measures vs columns, check the following links which I 've found useful:

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/calculated-columns-vs-measures-dax/

https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/dax-calculated-columns-vs-measures/

No,  i explained myself in a bad way i need to print table 1 and i want the count of all the tasks each id has. Not a global count, that is why i need that column i cheked the links and are nice but in this case i need the calculated colum.

Thanks for the information about measures and columns i found it interesting 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hector3315,

If you drag a Matrix visual to your canvas, with ID in Rows, and the measure totalTAreas in Values, I think it will give you the result you need.

Or you can add a column as described by @Baskar, though I can't see from your requirements why it must be a column.

Note that columns can't be used is some situations (e.g. axis on a scatter plot), measures are generally more efficient, but measures can't be used as slicers.

That works so fine man !!

I didn't know that measures could be used to get values by row I thougth that they were only to get one value.

I have just seen the video and now I understand how a measure works. And yes it is more efficient than calculated columns by far.

I found a bad way to do it duplicating the table and grouping by id but that is so unefficient.

A lot of thanks to both and sorry cause the answer was here from the first message but i didn't know how to apply it. Sometimes it is better no to run a lot and take time to see the things clare. Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad we helped.  I too didn't understand the simple power of measures and a good data model until I'd used them a few times on my own datasets.

1. create relationship between these two table.

2. Create calculated column on Table 1

Column =Calculate( COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE('Table 2')))

am sure it will help u, if not let me know i will help u my friend .

The second solution doesn't work. I  go to investigate that CALCULATE. i think that is the solution to my problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.