Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rlooney
Frequent Visitor

Count distinct of nulls in Power BI doesn't work like SQL Server

We had a customer run across this while validating data.  

We see an idea in the old forum that indicates others have seen this problem as well, but I don't see any staff feedback to note that this is by design or a bug. It feels like a bug to us.  Old feedback:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20324836-dax-distinctcount-treats...

It is easy to duplicate.  On a local Sql server database create a table with a single column and a single null row of data. 

Note that count(distinct) of that table returns 0.

Now connect Power BI to that table (import or directquery - it doesn't matter). Show that column in a table or matrix and toggle to count (distinct).  Power BI shows 1.

It seems wrong that Power BI would work differently than SQL Server.  

Examples below...

sql server count distinct.PNGpower bi count distinct.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rlooney,

I have got response from PG that this behavior is by design, please vote up the idea you have mentioned above.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

rlooney
Frequent Visitor

@v-yuezhe-msft - Thank you for checking on this.  I have voted for the idea and this can be closed.

Also, for others that might see this, one of the forum questions about this suggests adding a filter to the data to exclude the (blank) data.  Doing that will produce a count and count(distinct) that is consistent with SQL Server.  Just keep in mind what level you're filtering that data at as that might cause other problems if not fully accounted for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rlooney
Frequent Visitor

@v-yuezhe-msft - Thank you for checking on this.  I have voted for the idea and this can be closed.

Also, for others that might see this, one of the forum questions about this suggests adding a filter to the data to exclude the (blank) data.  Doing that will produce a count and count(distinct) that is consistent with SQL Server.  Just keep in mind what level you're filtering that data at as that might cause other problems if not fully accounted for.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rlooney,

I have got response from PG that this behavior is by design, please vote up the idea you have mentioned above.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@rlooney,

I will consult this issue internally and post back here once I get any updates.

Regards,
Lydia

rlooney
Frequent Visitor

A couple more pieces of info -

1 - I can confirm that Cognos and Tableau both implement Count (distinct) like SQL Server does - ignoring nulls.  As a result, most users are going to expect count(distinct) to work in an industry standard way.

2 - Count also suffers from some oddities when a null value is in play. 

Count of the above table in SQL Server produces 0, but shows as a blank in Power BI which seems like another related bug.  

Adding a row of non-null data [insert into counttest (CountTestID) Values (1) ] then caauses this in Power BI:

Count = 1

Count (distinct) = 2

SQL Server produces:

Count = 1

Count (distinct) = 1

So Count is working when non-null values exist, but is broken when that is the only row of data.

Count (distinct) seems consistently to count the null value which other systems do not - and as a result, users won't expect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.