Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcru1999
Frequent Visitor

Count continuous dates from a data set without weekends

Hi community,
I hope you are doing well; I am trying to count the number of consecutive days employees take vacation. I have a data set with an ID identifier and the date when they took a vacation. Is there a way to know how many consecutive days an employee was on vacation for without breaking the count if there were weekends?
In this example below an example the employee number 57 had taken April 1st and April 4th of 2022, the weekend would be between these two days, the result here would be 2. Below we have 6,7 and 8 of April, so the result here would be 3.

jcru1999_1-1677194869197.png

I've tried this in excel and didn't work, also I've gave it a try in power bi, but I don't know how to make it work. I do have a dim date table that has the weekends dates, but I am unsure how to build a DAX measure or a code that can bring these results.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, 

J

@amitchandak 

@Greg_Deckler 

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@jcru1999 Depending on how you want to do it, NETWORKDAYS might get you there or perhaps 2 columns like below. See PBIX attached below signature.

Consequetive = 
    VAR __ID = [Employ ID]
    VAR __Date = [Time Off Date]
    VAR __PrevDate = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'), [Time Off Date] < __Date),[Time Off Date])
    VAR __Diff = ( __Date - __PrevDate ) * 1.
    VAR __Result = 
        SWITCH( TRUE(),
            __Diff = 1, 1,
            WEEKDAY(__Date, 2) = 1 && __Diff = 3, 1,
        )
RETURN
    __Result

Consequetive Days = 
    VAR __Date = [Time Off Date]
    VAR __Next = MINX(FILTER(ALL('Table'), [Time Off Date] > __Date && [Consequetive] = 0),[Time Off Date])
    VAR __NextFinal = IF(__Next = BLANK(), TODAY(), __Next)
    VAR __Table = FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Time Off Date] >= __Date && [Time Off Date] < __NextFinal && [Consequetive] = 1)
    VAR __ConsequetiveDays = COUNTROWS(__Table) + 1
    VAR __Result = IF([Consequetive] = 0, __ConsequetiveDays, BLANK())
RETURN
    __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler Thank you so much for your help with this, it looks like a great solution, If you could just help me with this last part, somehow the "Consequetive" column is retriving most of the dates as consecutive, could you please advise me what I am doing wrong here? Should I sort the columns in another way? 

jcru1999_0-1677202791430.png

Thank you so much for all your help! 

J

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.