Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count between tables

Hi

I have a large data set that lists a customer, product(s) and employee assignment. each employee needs to be counted per product and have a weighting applied. 

however it is possible that there could be two employees listed against the same customer but in different products. 

for example:

CustomerProduct 1Product 2Product 3Product 4Product 5
Customer ABC 1Joe Blogs Caty Biggs  
Customer ABC 2 Caty biggs Joe Blogs 
Customer ABC 3  Joe Blogs  
Customer ABC 4Andy smith Andy SmithJoe BlogsCaty Biggs
Customer ABC 5 Joe Blogs   
Customer ABC 6Joe Blogs Caty biggs  

using Power Query I created a table that lists all of the employee names. now I don't quite know how to do a count that counts how many times an employee appears for the customer. once I do that I then need to apply a weight. for eaample Product 1 = 10%, Product 2=15% Product 3=25%, Product 4= 40%and so on. 

so if Joe Blogs Appears in Customer 1& Product 1 then thats 10%, he then appears in Customer 2 Product 4 whcih should then add 30% to the 10% and so on. 

can anyone help with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

What are trying to do would be hard with the structure you have. I would suggest unpivoting it so that you have a structure like the following:

CustomerProduct

Employee

Customer ABC 1Product 1

Joe Blogs

Customer ABC 1Product 3

Caty Biggs

Customer ABC 2Product 2

Caty Biggs

Customer ABC 2Product 4

Joe Blogs

Then you can do distinct count of customers per employee or apply percentages based on the product

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

What are trying to do would be hard with the structure you have. I would suggest unpivoting it so that you have a structure like the following:

CustomerProduct

Employee

Customer ABC 1Product 1

Joe Blogs

Customer ABC 1Product 3

Caty Biggs

Customer ABC 2Product 2

Caty Biggs

Customer ABC 2Product 4

Joe Blogs

Then you can do distinct count of customers per employee or apply percentages based on the product

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.