Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count based on Min / Max Date by Quarter

So I have two measures that calculate the min and max date by quarter. These measures reside within what's basically a calendar table. When I add the quarter field, I can add the min / max dates to the table visualization without any issues. But now I'm trying to create another measure that counts the number of records based on that min and max date within that quarter. 

I've tried numerous things, but most recently: 

CALCULATE(Count(Salesforce[Id]), FILTER(CalendarTable,CalendarTable[FILE_DATE] = [MinFileDate]))

To no avail. I realize this probably has to do with some row-level context, but I can't seem to figure out the solution. The result right now is a count of all IDS by the entire Quarter (the first column in the table), but it's ignoring the MinFileDate filter. I think that's because at the row level all dates are the MinFileDate, but I need to "break out" of that to be MinFileDate by the Quarter itself. 

I need the Count of all IDs by Quarter AND on the minimum file date. 

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jonathan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-shex-msft@dkay84_PowerBI,

Thanks for both of your responses. I ended up going a different route. @v-shex-msft, I could never get your example to work properly. 

I ended up making a secondary table that only included the max and min dates (SQL Query). I then used the LOOKUPVALUE function to pull that min/max date respectively in my overall table. I then compared the file date in that table to the min/max date and used "yes" or "no" if it matched that date (as another column in the raw data file).

I then more simply created a calculation (measure) that filtered in those that were "yes". 

I appreciate your assistance in responding. 

Jonathan 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you use maxx or minx function to get the minfiledate/maxfiledate per quarter.

Sample:

Count of MinFileDate= 
var minDate= MINX(FILTER(ALL(Salesforce),[Date].[QuarterNo]=MAX([Date].[QuarterNo])&&[Date].[Year]=MAX([Date].[Year])),[Date])
return
CALCULATE(Count(Salesforce[Id]), FILTER(CalendarTable,CalendarTable[FILE_DATE] = minDate))

Count of MaxFileDate= 
var MaxDate= MAXX(FILTER(ALL(Salesforce),[Date].[QuarterNo]=MAX([Date].[QuarterNo])&&[Date].[Year]=MAX([Date].[Year])),[Date])
return
CALCULATE(Count(Salesforce[Id]), FILTER(CalendarTable,CalendarTable[FILE_DATE] = MaxDate))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-shex-msft@dkay84_PowerBI,

Thanks for both of your responses. I ended up going a different route. @v-shex-msft, I could never get your example to work properly. 

I ended up making a secondary table that only included the max and min dates (SQL Query). I then used the LOOKUPVALUE function to pull that min/max date respectively in my overall table. I then compared the file date in that table to the min/max date and used "yes" or "no" if it matched that date (as another column in the raw data file).

I then more simply created a calculation (measure) that filtered in those that were "yes". 

I appreciate your assistance in responding. 

Jonathan 

Please provide some sample data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.