Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Count and Countrows returning 'Blank' Value

I have a table with over 200,000 phone calls; but when I use 'Count' or 'Countrows' the value returned is blank. 

What could be the underlying issue?

My measure is:

Total Calls = COUNTROWS(Phone)

11 REPLIES 11
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I ran into this issue as well and later found I had a page level filter which was referencing old name of the query instead of the new one. Updating that fixed the count right away.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are there relationships with other tables involved here?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KHorseman

Yes, A relationship to the date table, and an indexing table

OK, there are a number of possibilities here.

1. Is the relationship with the date table active or inactive?
  2. Are you sure that the date column in your phone call table is actually the date datatype and not datetime? Like in the query, what is it set to? If it's datetime in the query, even if you set the datatype to date in the Power BI data model it won't work. There are other digits hidden so the dates will never match a date in your date table.
  3. If none of that solved it, tell me more about this indexing table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have stopped creating date tables, and now create additinal columns within the table separating the month, day and year from the date column. After, I create attach an excel spreadsheet with distinct date values. This seems to be easier with lots of tables with multiple dates and years.

The problem was in the indexing table, I made the relationship inactive, and it is now working. I will have to see what the issue is with the relationship. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just lost $20!?  🙂

@Anonymouscan I claim that you owe me $20 since inactive relationship was #1 on my list? Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KHorseman@Anonymous 

The indexing column was actually last lol! 

There was never a date table.

Yeah but I did say inactive relationship in #1. Shhh, back me up on this. I'll split the $20 with you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got $20 on "the date relationship has times in the fact table".   You can't JUST change the "Data type" and/or "Format" on the Modeling ribbon... which, I dunno... I think i wish it works for Data Type at least?

You need to change the underlying data to NOT HAVE times (hopefully just using "Edit Queries")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.