Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ronkochanowski
Frequent Visitor

Count Rows Where ID Matches Other Measure in Same Table

Have a dimension that contains one column that is one of four values: STEP 1, STEP 2, STEP 3, STEP 4.  STEP 1 is not a prerequisite, but is a starting point.  In other words, people might jump to STEP 2 or 3 without doing STEP 1.  I need to find all people that have performed STEPs 2, 3, and 4, but only if they've first done STEP 1.

Currently have measures:

STEP 1 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step1")

STEP 2 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step2")

STEP 3 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step3")

STEP 4 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step4")

These measures give the totals without an issue.  The field that joins the steps is Person_ID.  I'm thinking something like, COUNTIF STEP2 PERSON_ID = STEP1 PERSON_ID... I know this is a very simplistic way of thinking about it, but it's what I'm looking for.  How would that be derived in DAX?

Thanks in advance!

Ron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Eric,

This is what has seemed to work:

To Community = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(core_v_profile_memberList),FILTER(ALL(core_v_profile_memberList[Step]),core_v_profile_memberList[Step] = "Community"))

with Community being Step 4.

Thanks for your input!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share a dataset and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@ronkochanowski wrote:

Have a dimension that contains one column that is one of four values: STEP 1, STEP 2, STEP 3, STEP 4.  STEP 1 is not a prerequisite, but is a starting point.  In other words, people might jump to STEP 2 or 3 without doing STEP 1.  I need to find all people that have performed STEPs 2, 3, and 4, but only if they've first done STEP 1.

Currently have measures:

STEP 1 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step1")

STEP 2 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step2")

STEP 3 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step3")

STEP 4 = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(myTable),myTable[step]="Step4")

These measures give the totals without an issue.  The field that joins the steps is Person_ID.  I'm thinking something like, COUNTIF STEP2 PERSON_ID = STEP1 PERSON_ID... I know this is a very simplistic way of thinking about it, but it's what I'm looking for.  How would that be derived in DAX?

Thanks in advance!

Ron

@ronkochanowski

You can add an extra filter to your measure. Apply the same filter to Step 3 and Step 4.

STEP 2 =
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( myTable ),
    myTable[step] = "Step2",
    MyTable[Person_ID]
        IN CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( MyTable[Person_ID] ), MyTable[Step] = "step1" )
)

Thanks Eric,

This is what has seemed to work:

To Community = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(core_v_profile_memberList),FILTER(ALL(core_v_profile_memberList[Step]),core_v_profile_memberList[Step] = "Community"))

with Community being Step 4.

Thanks for your input!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.