Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MTOnet
Helper III
Helper III

Count Parent Records that have Specified Criteria in a Child Record

I'm trying to get a count of parent records where a child record matches a selection from a Pie Chart to filters a 2nd chart, but just can't seem to get the formual to work.

I have a list of tasks with ID, Status, Type, Parent ID and Assignment.  I have a Pie Chart of all the names that are assigned to Child Tasks (all parents are of one type, and I have them filtered).

I have a 2nd Pie Chart to show the status of the Parent Tasks.  When I have no selection for Assignment, I can easily display the count of parent records by status.  What I am having difficulty with is getting the count of the parent records when I select one of the names from the Assignment Chart.  I have set the Assignment Pie Chart to Filter my 2nd chart, which is working, its just the calculation in my measure is not.

I'm thinking I want to filter the data by the assignment, so i can get all records that person is assigned to and then use that as an input to filter on records where the Parent ID exists in the PATH column that I had created.  I tried using PATHCONTAINS, but can't quite get the syntax to generate the result I am looking for.

Here is a simpified example of my data and expected Results

sample Data & Result.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MTOnet here is what you need to do:

add a new table, let's call is Status with one column let's also call it Status with the unique value of each status, see below, and make sure it doesn't have a relationship with any table

image.png

Add following measure, I called it Total New

Total New = 
VAR __parentIds = VALUES ( data[Parent ID] )
VAR __countbyStatus = 
SUMMARIZE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( data ), 
        data[ID] IN __parentIds && 
        data[Type] ="Type 1" 
    ), 
    [Status],
    "CountRows", COUNTROWS ( data ) 
)
RETURN 
MAXX ( 
    FILTER ( 
        __countbyStatus,
        [Status] =  SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Status'[Status] )
    ),
    [CountRows] 
)

Filter 2 pie chart, add Status from Status Table and above measure and you will get the following result based on Person 4 filtered in Filter 1 pie chart.

image.png

Hope this will get you going and you can take it from there.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@MTOnet I try to understand your question but not fully clear. Can you paste the data in table fomrat and also share the expected result. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k ,

Thank you for reaching out.

Here is a sample report with more data.

Sample Data 

Expected Result

-When no selection on Filter 1, then show the count of records by status when type is type 1 

-When selecting a value from Filter 1, Filter 2 is updated to show the status of type 1 records when the value selected from Filter 1 is on a child record of the type 1 record.

For example - When clicking on Person 8 in Filter 1, Filter 2 should 2 total records, 1 Status 1 & 1 Status 2Result.png.  So I'm trying to determine that the status of the parent is, when a child record matches the filtered assignment

Hi @parry2k 

I was trying to show what happens when selecting a name of tasks that are assigned and using person 8 as my example.

In the full set of data, person 8 only has 3 tasks, 28, 72 & 73.  I am trying to show what the status of the parent tasks of those items are.  so for task 28, I want to know the status of its parent, task 27.  For tasks 72 & 73, I want the status of the parent, task 69.  Task 27, has a status of of Status 1, tasl 69 has a status of status 2, so I would have  total count of those being 1 status 1, 1 status 2.

I'm basically trying to have the 2nd pie chart show the count of status for records of type 1 on the whole set of data and then when selecting a name, the 2nd chart shows the type 1 records where they show up on a record that is a sub-task of that parent.

@MTOnet still lost but trying, see below, does it make sense when person 4 selected?

image.png

@parry2k I really appreciate your help and looking at this. What you have shown is close.  it appears that one record is missing from the calculation.  I would have expected 1 value for status 6 to appear as well.

Sorry if I am not explaining it well.  It makes complete sense to me what I am trying to do, but I can understand what I have in my head is not coming across well.

I have uploaded a new sample file.

Updated Sample File 

Table 2 shows the records that should be used in the calculation.  I am able to identify the records I want to be displayed in the table, I just can't turn it into a measure to be used for a visualization.  (Table 1 shows all records, parent and children, when any child record under the parent matches the assigned selection and Table 2 shows only the parent records in this case, which is the calcuation I am trying to get out of this).

@MTOnet here is what you need to do:

add a new table, let's call is Status with one column let's also call it Status with the unique value of each status, see below, and make sure it doesn't have a relationship with any table

image.png

Add following measure, I called it Total New

Total New = 
VAR __parentIds = VALUES ( data[Parent ID] )
VAR __countbyStatus = 
SUMMARIZE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( data ), 
        data[ID] IN __parentIds && 
        data[Type] ="Type 1" 
    ), 
    [Status],
    "CountRows", COUNTROWS ( data ) 
)
RETURN 
MAXX ( 
    FILTER ( 
        __countbyStatus,
        [Status] =  SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Status'[Status] )
    ),
    [CountRows] 
)

Filter 2 pie chart, add Status from Status Table and above measure and you will get the following result based on Person 4 filtered in Filter 1 pie chart.

image.png

Hope this will get you going and you can take it from there.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

@MTOnet what is the logic you showed in the screenshot. Having a hard time understanding the logic,  I cannot connect dots, why filtering on person 8 will bring these records?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.