Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Justair07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Count Number of Times a Word is Found in All Columns of a Table

Hello,

Does anyone know of a way in DAX or maybe a different solution to check all columns in a table for a certain word and if the word is found return a 1 or even a count of how mant times the work was found?

For example, I need the count of Red for a record but want to check all columns without listing them in my DAX

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @Justair07 

you can do this easily with power query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkpNUdJRcsopTQVSEA6IjI0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}}),

Test = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "WordCount", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each Text.Contains(_, "Red"))), Int64.Type)
in
    Test

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @Justair07 

you can do this easily with power query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkpNUdJRcsopTQVSEA6IjI0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}}),

Test = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "WordCount", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each Text.Contains(_, "Red"))), Int64.Type)
in
    Test

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

@LivioLanzo  thank you. Is this the only solution you know of which requires the nameing of the columns? If I add a column to the table, will I also have to add it to the query? Is there a more dynamic solution that you know of?

Hi @Justair07 

the last line of the query (which is the one of the calculation) is fully dynamic and will work for all the columns

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Do all columns in the table have to be Text? What if I only want to check the already existing text columns? I'm getting an error:

error.JPG

You can convert them all first to Text like this

Test = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "WordCount", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each Text.Contains(Text.From(_), "Red"))), Int64.Type)

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

@LivioLanzo but what if I need the date fields to remain date fields, number fields to remain number fields, etc..?

this will not change the data type of the original column

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Perfect! Thank you!

@LivioLanzo  is it possible to edit this line to count all text that IS NOT "Conforming"

Test = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "Non-Conforming", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each Text.Contains(Text.From(_), 
"Non-Conforming"))), Int64.Type)

something like this

Test = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "Non-Conforming", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each Text.Contains(Text.From(_),
<> "Conforming"))), Int64.Type)

or maybe add an OR operator

OR("Non-Conforming", "Failed")))), Int64.Type)

@Justair07 

if you want the text to not contain something you can just add a NOT:

Test = Table.AddColumn(ChangedType, "Non-Conforming", each List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each not Text.Contains(Text.From(_), <> "Conforming"))), Int64.Type)

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

@LivioLanzo ok that is very helpful. Thank you. Is the AND operator an option in M as well? Instead of using NOT I can just add more conditions for various words. I hope this make s sense.

Hi @Justair07 

you could add more words like this

let

Test = Table.AddColumn(
                ChangedType, 
                "WordCount", 
                each List.Count(
                        List.Select(
                            Record.ToList(_), 
                            each Text.Contains(_, "Red") or Text.Contains(_, "Yellow")
                        )
                     ), Int64.Type)
in
    Test

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.