Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OSin

Count Number of Matches in all rows

Hi All,

I have searched for a solution to this question but have had no luck so far.

I would like to calculate the number of string occurences in all rows of a certain column, based on a string in the current row of a seperate column. For example:

BOM
COMPONENT2,COMPONENT3,COMPONENT3
COMPONENT1,COMPONENT5,COMPONENT3
COMPONENT2,COMPONENT1
COMPONENT1,COMPONENT3
COMPONENT1,COMPOMENT2,COMPONENET3,COMPONENT4

SKUSKU in BOM
COMPONENT 14
COMPONENT 23
COMPONENT 35
COMPONENT 41
COMPONENT 51

Currently, I can count the rows where the string occurs using DAX:

SKU in BOM = countrows(filter('Data',find(earlier('Data'[SKU]),'Data'[BOM],,0)>0))

But this gives just a count of the rows, wheras I want to get the total number of occurances.

I have seen a suggestion of using Text.Split to get the number of occurences, but I'm not sure how to reference the "SKU" Column as the delimiter and how to iterate over every row and sum, rather than just the current row.

Edit: The main issue I have is that each component can be present more than once in any given row. Editted the tables to clarify.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I personally duplicate the table and I open the query Editor to split the data into rows

1.png

Then I can apply the DAX formula proposed by @Zubair_Muhammad

2.png

Then you can use this table in a visual rapidly.

I know it is only to save you because a DAX formula should solve it but I don't know it !

Regards,

CR

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
CR
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @OSin

Could you please tell us which values you need in your column instead of them you display in the column SKU in BOM ? It will ease the reply.

Regards,

CR

@CRI would like to get the column "SKU in BOM", I.e. the number of times that the sting "SKU" occurs in the String "BOM", summed for all rows.

@OSin

Try this calculated column

Column =
COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( Table1, SEARCH ( EARLIER ( [SKU] ), [BOM], 1, 0 ) > 0 ) )

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

@Zubair_Muhammad  Unfortunately that just gives the number of rows with matches as I mentioned in the opening post. I also need to count the number of occurences within those rows.

I personally duplicate the table and I open the query Editor to split the data into rows

1.png

Then I can apply the DAX formula proposed by @Zubair_Muhammad

2.png

Then you can use this table in a visual rapidly.

I know it is only to save you because a DAX formula should solve it but I don't know it !

Regards,

CR

@CRI Ended up using your solution as I could combine it with an additional column "Quantity" multiple the component by the quantity purchased for a total column.

@CR   Yep, I've tried this way but unfortunately the real data has 1000+ SKU values and up to 30 components per BOM, so it isnt feasable to do this. There are also values in other coulmns that I don't want duplicated.

Thanks

@OSin@CR

This formula works with sample data

Column =
VAR mySKU = [SKU]
VAR AllBOM =
    CONCATENATEX ( Table1, [BOM], "," )
VAR myBOM =
    SUBSTITUTE ( AllBOM, ",", "|" )
VAR temp =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        GENERATESERIES ( 1, PATHLENGTH ( myBOM ) ),
        "BOMB", TRIM ( PATHITEM ( myBOM, [Value] ) )
    )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( temp, [BOMB] = mySKU ) )

Regards
Zubair

This seems to work at first glance, but with my data for some values of SKU I am getting a lower result than when using

Column =
COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( Table1, SEARCH ( EARLIER ( [SKU] ), [BOM], 1, 0 ) > 0 ) ) :

Which means some results are being excluded from this formula?  Is there an upper limit to CONCATENATEX that could be limiting the returned count?

@OSin@CR

File attached as well

countrows.png

Regards
Zubair

@Zubair_Muhammad you are a SUPER USER !!!!

I keep it in my long list of solutions !!!!

CR

Strange because I proposed you this solution because you have a lot of data.

I proceed like this by duplicating the table first to do what I want after. It doesn't affect PBI capacities.

Just for information, I could propose you to Group By the data after the split into Rows.

It gives you directly what you need without using DAX formula at all (all is done in Query Editor).

3.png

Anyway, I hope somebody will provide you DAX formula;

Regards,

CR

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.