Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NeeleshRaheja
Advocate I
Advocate I

Couldn't load the model schema - Error with latest PBIDesktop live connection SSAS Multidimensional

using live connection with PBI Desktop, I can see the cube but on selecting a cube, get an an error Couldn't load the model schema

trace is below

DataMashup.Trace Critical: 24579 : {"Start":"2016-06-20T17:32:41.4859476Z","Action":"PBI.Win.ProcessingError","Message":"{\"ExceptionType\":\"Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdErrorResponseException\",\"stackTrace\":\"   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.Discover(String requestType, String requestNamespace, IDictionary restrictions, InlineErrorHandlingType inlineErrorHandling, IDictionary requestProperties)\\r\\n   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, String schemaNamespace, IDictionary adomdRestrictions, Boolean throwOnInlineErrors, IDictionary requestProperties)\\r\\n   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.GetSchemaDataSet(String schemaName, String schemaNamespace, AdomdRestrictionCollection restrictions, Boolean throwOnInlineErrors, AdomdPropertyCollection requestProperties)\\r\\n   at Microsoft.Report

51 REPLIES 51

Here is a link to the trace file:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArGIro1WHXFUpkkWeEbTobZFDCRn

The main error I see is "XML for Analysis parser: The restriction value provided by the consumer either does not match other restrictions or refers to an unknown object."

Thank you very much for your help with this.

Kirby

@krepko7 What version of SSAS are you on? items i could find for that error suggested a version mismatch. Is it SQL Server 2012 SP1 or later?

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

Adam,

I asked the client to load AdventureWorks DW 2014 into their 2014 SSAS MD model and they were able to use that as a connect live data source.  This seems to eliminate the verision mismatch being a problem.  

Thanks and good luck with your move.

Adam,

The client is using version 12.0.4100.1 (2014 SP1) and Power BI desktop is the latest as of yesterday, 2.36.4434.381.  Thanks again for your valuable help. 

Kirby

Same situation with our Production Server when I try to connect with Live Connection sometimes works others not.

The last event we have in profiler trace is: Internal error: unexpected exception

Regards

@gzelada@NeeleshRaheja I ran into a similiar error yesterday on a Tabular model (I don't recall the exact error) Have you tried deleting the stored datasource in the Desktop? That worked for me. I just re-connected after removing the cached version.

File -> Options and Settings -> Data Source Settings -> Tick "Global" -> select the data source -> Clear Permissions -> delete

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks Guys. None of the suggestions work. BTW PBI Desktop can connect to sample advneture works cube but not any other cubes, Excel and Other tools can access all cubes without any issues.  Have logged this issue with Mircrosoft support. They are working on it with the product team. Will update once we have a fix. 

gzelada

I have the same error.  Is there any guide or solution to this...?

gzelada

I have the same error.  Is there any guide or solution to this..?

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@NeeleshRaheja

In Power BI Desktop, when you open live connection to SSAS, you need to select specific cube.

Capture22.PNG

If you select entire database, it will throw above error.

Capture33.PNG

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.