Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Danapa
Frequent Visitor

Couldn't get the simple sum function for a column

Hi, 

I have this sales table with the sales amount as one of the columns. And I have the date as a column. The sales table has the relationship connected to a calendar table. I need to total the sales amount. I have no problem getting accurate monthly sales amounts when generating a report with a month column. However, since I am needing to combine different sums from different tables, I was advised to create a new measure.

So I just used "create new measure" to sum the sales amount column. But when I ran a table using the new measure, the result shows some incorrect sales amount for some months and most months have no sales amount at all. The data does not match the monthly amounts I get when running a report without this new measure. Can anybody tell me what went wrong here? I am new to BI. If I missed some obvious info please ask. 

I also attached a photo for the result. 2016 should have much higher sales than 2015 so the data is completely wacky. Please advise. Thank you!Capture.PNG

10 REPLIES 10

Could you please describe more details on how you created the measure (dax formula would help) and a sample of eg. one month which showed to correct totals (which?) when you did not use the measure and now showing the wrong total (which?).

A screenshot of the relations whould help maybe either.

Markus Ehrenmueller-Jensen
@MEhrenmueller
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do you have any filters(page level/visual filters) in your report, Any slicers that are active as well. If so, can you please cancel those filters to get the accurate results. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thanks! I've cleared the slicer. It got self fixed today when I reopened it. Power BI had a glitch or something. But I do have an issue which make me wonder if it has something to do with the glitch. That is, after I imported the sales data in queries, apply and close. The content data of the table doesn't show up in the data section. It's all grey there (see the photo below). I can go back to the queries to see the data, and I'm able to use the sales data when I create visual reports. I don't know why it happened this way. Is it because the file size? The data section just won't store and show up the content. Appreciate if your experience can explain this for me!

Capture.PNG

Hi @Danapa,

I remembered I met the same issue when I used the Power BI Desktop version 2.40.4554.361, but after I updated to the new version

2.40.4554.463, I didn't encounter this issue. Please update the desktop to this new version to check if the issue persists: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the info. I updated the version and the issue still persists. Smiley Sad

Hi @Danapa,

Did the data grayed out in Data tab frequently or intermittently in latest desktop version?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for asking! I have other 7 data sets and only the sales one has the issue from the very beginning. All data is grey out all the time. I am able to go back to the queries to see the data but not at the data tab. Weird.....

Hi @Danapa,

I guess there might be something wrong with the sales table, would you mind re-import the sales table to see if the new table greyed out in Data tab?

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

That does happen sometimes in Data view when your file is not saved or the query changes has not been applied. After reopening and resaving the file fixes the issue. if you would like to check the data/columns ,you can always  go to the Query editor.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Looks weird.

Have you tried to close the file or Power BI and reopen or tried to restart you client?

Markus Ehrenmueller-Jensen
@MEhrenmueller

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors