Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rahult

Could not connect to pubs database installed on PC

Hello people, I am very new to Power BI and kindly excuse the naivety of the question.I downloaded and installed a pubs database(SQL Server 2000 Sample Databases) to perform some exercises. The book I am referring to uses that database. When I clicked Get Data-Database-SQL Server Database-Import option for Data connectivity and gave the server name as my computer name and left the database option blank I got this message. 

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

I read all the posts to be frank but I am not sure how to go about this. 😞

Thanks and Regards

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

5 REPLIES 5

The server name is not your computer name. It is the name of your instance of SQL.

Thank you sir

And how does one find the instance

Try this link
http://bit.ly/2mRbTvb

Haha. Thanks. I did that already. I think my SQL basics are not clear. I have decided to view some intro videos and solve the problem. But thanks heaps. Coming from a non techie world to this is bit tough. But I will get there. Thanks again 

melian
Frequent Visitor

Did you find a solution to this problem? I am studying the same book. I don't have a tech background either. I am stuck with this issue for a few days now and can't find figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.