Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

craig811
Helper III
Helper III

Could I run my query based on a drill down or stick to parameter?

Hi all,

I have a query the runs a Bill of material for each item. The issue I have is that running the query for all of the items would mean extracting 100's of thousands of lines for each item.

Currently I use a parameter so that the user would have to input the item they require a Bill of Material. 

Is there any functionality that I could activate the query through drill down instead of a parameter?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @craig811 

I think you want to show your results dynamiclly. You can try to build a visual with hierachy level, then you can drill down your visual to get results. Or you can use parameter to get data sources dynamiclly.

For reference: Passing Parameters To SQL Queries With Value.NativeQuery() In Power Query And Power BI

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is your data source accessible via Direct Query?

Thank you for your reply, yes it is accessible via a Direct Query.

Hi @craig811 

I think you want to show your results dynamiclly. You can try to build a visual with hierachy level, then you can drill down your visual to get results. Or you can use parameter to get data sources dynamiclly.

For reference: Passing Parameters To SQL Queries With Value.NativeQuery() In Power Query And Power BI

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you , not what I was after ,but it was a long shot that Power Bi would have this functionality.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.