Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JMWDBA
Advocate II
Advocate II

Cost Per Formula Help

So what I need is to know how to create what I assume would have to be a "Cost Per" measure.  So the example is related to students.  Every student costs $200 to instruct.  I have a column called "Registrations" which is the duplicated count of the Student ID.  I also have the cost a student pays per registration in a column called "Course Price".  Cost of instruction does not exist as a column in any of the tables.  Should I create a column that says "Cost of Instruction" then just enter the amount $200 or is there a better way of doing that in Power BI?

The goal is to be able to take the total registrations and the revenue generated by taking the sum of "Course Price" less the sum of "Cost Per" to give me net revenue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JMWDBA

Based on your description, I make a test using the sample data below.
1.PNG

Firstly, create new columns using formulas below.

Cost of instuctions = 200
revenue = Table2[Course Price]-Table2[Cost of instuctions]

Secondly, do you want to calculate distinct registration or full registration? For the former, create a measure using DAX: Distinct registrations = DISTINCTCOUNT(Table2[Registrations]). For  the latter, create a measure using DAX: full registrations = COUNT(Table2[Registrations]).

Thirdly, create card visuals to display total registrations and revenue.
2.PNG

If the above steps doesn’t help,  please share sample data of your table and post expected result here.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JMWDBA

Based on your description, I make a test using the sample data below.
1.PNG

Firstly, create new columns using formulas below.

Cost of instuctions = 200
revenue = Table2[Course Price]-Table2[Cost of instuctions]

Secondly, do you want to calculate distinct registration or full registration? For the former, create a measure using DAX: Distinct registrations = DISTINCTCOUNT(Table2[Registrations]). For  the latter, create a measure using DAX: full registrations = COUNT(Table2[Registrations]).

Thirdly, create card visuals to display total registrations and revenue.
2.PNG

If the above steps doesn’t help,  please share sample data of your table and post expected result here.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, this did help immensely.  Say I wanted to take it a step further.  So the column named "Course" is a Concatenation of the column "Subject" and the column called "Catalog Number".  If the catalog number is between 100-400 then the cost of instruction is $200 but if the catalog number is between 500-600 the cost of instruction is $300.  How would i set this up so that I dont have to use a flat cost of instruction of $200?

Hi @JMWDBA,

Create your column using  the DAX below.

cost of instruction = IF(Table2[Catalog Number]<=400 && Table2[Catalog Number]>=100, 200, 350)

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

It presents an error of too few arguments.  

Hi @JMWDBA,

Would you mind sharing me your PBIX file?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.