Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

t-atgeor
Employee
Employee

Cost Network Corridors

Hi, I would like to visualize cost corridors between a country and its recipient, something saturated and close to the one below (though on a world map):

http://www.connectcallglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Network-Map-CCG-Image2.jpg

At the same time, I would like to resize the lines, so that I could see which connection between two countries (let's say of 15k $) is more important to me than a 1$ connection, for example. Of course, the map should be flexible so I could choose my country and see how the costs have been spread between it and other countries around the world.

Is this somethign which I could create now on my own in Power BI?

Thanks, Atanas

8 REPLIES 8
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@t-atgeor I think what you need is map with connecting lines. Standard map visuals in power bi don't provide that ability yet. There is also no custom visuals currently which does that. So your only option is to go down the path of R visuals. You need to know R for that. Here is the blog post I did sometime ago showing how to build map with connecting lines using R in power bi. It maybe useful to you for your purpose.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/R-script-and-R-visuals-in-Power-BI/ba-p/27011

@ankitpatira Hi, its exactly what I need, let me try since have never done R visuals before. Will stick to the post you have created and if have questions, may I get back to you?

Thanks, Atanas

@ankitpatira Do you have an idea how to solve the error message?

Error Message:

R script error.

# maps v3.1: updated 'world': all lakes moved to separate new #
 # 'lakes' database. Type '?world' or 'news(package="maps")'.  #

Using Rgui 3.3.0, am not fully aware how to install the maps, geosphere and data.table packages, have used the function Install packages within the application, however, did not help much.

Thanks in advance.

@t-atgeor

You can use following commands to install the maps, geosphere and data.table packages in Rgui 3.3.

install.packages("maps")
install.packages("geosphere")
install.packages("data.table")

Cost Network Corridors_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Error Message:

R script error.

# maps v3.1: updated 'world': all lakes moved to separate new #
 # 'lakes' database. Type '?world' or 'news(package="maps")'.  #

Loading required package: sp
Loading required package: methods
Error in order(dataset$count) : argument 1 is not a vector
Calls: [ -> [.data.frame -> order
Execution halted

@v-haibl-msft @ankitpatira still showing me same error, have not done any different than what you proposed before. Sorry, might sound unprepared, however, it is first time I work with the language.

Thanks, Atanas

@t-atgeor

Did you get the error message in RGui? I downloaded R Open from here and just pasted following commands into R Console.

install.packages("maps")
install.packages("geosphere")
install.packages("data.table")

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft it has installed the packages successfully in the command window of RGui, however, once going to Power BI, and writing the code down, it is showing the mistake mentioned above.

@t-atgeor

Did you use the sample table provide by ankitpatira in his blog or use your own data table? You may need to adjust the R script if your table is different from the sample. I’ve tested with the sample table and code, everything worked well.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.