Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct way to handle a Date and Time dimensions

Hi,

I have column which contains a value in the format of 'dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss'.

I understand that creating a date dimension table is correct method. Any slicer/filter tools should be mapped to the dimension table, which in turn connects to the joining field in the fact table. I usually create the date dimension table using DAX. In this case, I need to be able to slice/filter on date and time (i.e. so rather than just filter by, say, 01/01/2017 I need to be able to filter by '01/01/2017 11:33'.

I see two solutions to this (A and B):

Solution A:

Create the Date dimension so it creates a date column with the many many values like:

01/01/2017 00:00:01

01/01/2017 00:00:02

01/01/2017 00:00:03

on so on...

But this would make the date dimension huge, however it would be a simple join between the date dimension and fact table columns with the date format of dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss.

Solution B:

With my starting point being 'dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss', I intend to separate the date and time fields. So I have a column with dd/mm/yyyy, and another column with hh:mm:ss.

I then create a Date dimension table and a Time dimension table.

Date Dimension:

01/01/2017

02/01/2017

03/01/2017

and so on...

Time dimension:

00:00:01

00:00:02

00:00:03

and so on...

and join the newly split columns to their relating date or time dimension tables.

Which is the correct method to use? Or is there another method?

And finally, which ever method to use, how do I do it?  Does anyone know of a link to explain this please?  Preferably in Power Query as it's a modelling action.

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reponse.

The customer mentioned they would like to filter by time, as well as date, and as the time has hh:mm:ss I thought it would be nice to give them that luxury. I'm sure the customer will be happy with filtering on hh:mm alone.

So you are confirming my Solution B as the right approach. Do you have any links to explain how to do this in Power Query?  Just links to the creation of the a Date and separate Time table in Power Query. I will Google it but just in case you know of a good link.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

After a little Googling, this is the winner:

https://ginameronek.com/2014/10/01/its-just-a-matter-of-time-power-bi-date-time-dimension-toolkit/

It did the job so I will now close this outstanding question. Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

Using individual date and time dimension tables(or maybe date, hour, minute, second dimension tables) would be a better option. You'll have to spit the datetime column in fact table into data and time columns and connect to the two dimension tables with the two tables.

By the way, why you'd like to narrow down to seconds? As in Power BI, AFAIK, I'd say there's no good slicer for time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reponse.

The customer mentioned they would like to filter by time, as well as date, and as the time has hh:mm:ss I thought it would be nice to give them that luxury. I'm sure the customer will be happy with filtering on hh:mm alone.

So you are confirming my Solution B as the right approach. Do you have any links to explain how to do this in Power Query?  Just links to the creation of the a Date and separate Time table in Power Query. I will Google it but just in case you know of a good link.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After a little Googling, this is the winner:

https://ginameronek.com/2014/10/01/its-just-a-matter-of-time-power-bi-date-time-dimension-toolkit/

It did the job so I will now close this outstanding question. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.