Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct Visualisation (totalcount) of 4 simple Tables

I have created a sample project for the following problem. There are 4 tables that have a relationship to each other.

alexkaban_0-1608387726657.png

The goal is to create 2 Cards that will show me the number of Tender (middle of the picture) and the number of Orders (right of the picture), depending on which market (left of the picture) is selected.

Current Dashboard:

alexkaban_1-1608387740963.png

When I put the Tender_ID from the Tender-Table in the Tender-Card, the display did not change after selecting a market. When I put the Tender_ID from the Tender_has_Market-Table, the number in the Tender-Card changed. This effect is desired, but why does it only work with the Tender-ID of Tender_has_Market? Tender_ID are the same in both tables.

And the Order-Card does not change at all =/ 

My Data:

dummy-data.png

I would be very grateful for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Don't @alexkaban,

I think this has to do with the addresses of your relationship. The arrows on the relationship lines tell you which direction filters will travel. For example:

BA_Pete_1-1608393112200.png

"When I put the Tender_ID of the Tender table on the Bidding Card, the screen did not change after selecting a market." - This is because the ratio 1 in the image above shows that the filters will only flow from Bidding to Tender_has_Market, not the other way around. Therefore, selecting a market will not filter the Tender table.

To remedy the above issue, you would have to right-click on the relationship line in relationship 1 and change the filter direction to "Both". This will allow filters to flow both ways and solve this specific problem.

Similarly, if you want tender[Tender_ID] selection to change the displayed Market_, you would need to change the ratio 2 to 'Both', as this would allow filters to flow from Tender, through Tender_has_market, to Market.

Also, if you want the Order[Order_ID] selection to change the Market[Marketname] shown, you would need to change both relationship 2 and relationship 3 to 'Both' to allow the filter to flow in that end-to-end direction.

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Don't @alexkaban,

I think this has to do with the addresses of your relationship. The arrows on the relationship lines tell you which direction filters will travel. For example:

BA_Pete_1-1608393112200.png

"When I put the Tender_ID of the Tender table on the Bidding Card, the screen did not change after selecting a market." - This is because the ratio 1 in the image above shows that the filters will only flow from Bidding to Tender_has_Market, not the other way around. Therefore, selecting a market will not filter the Tender table.

To remedy the above issue, you would have to right-click on the relationship line in relationship 1 and change the filter direction to "Both". This will allow filters to flow both ways and solve this specific problem.

Similarly, if you want tender[Tender_ID] selection to change the displayed Market_, you would need to change the ratio 2 to 'Both', as this would allow filters to flow from Tender, through Tender_has_market, to Market.

Also, if you want the Order[Order_ID] selection to change the Market[Marketname] shown, you would need to change both relationship 2 and relationship 3 to 'Both' to allow the filter to flow in that end-to-end direction.

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Big thanks to you. It works!

I wish you happy holidays 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.